or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

Kudos to you Mark for a very thorough, well-controlled test. I similarly find that if I *must* stream a movie, I vastly prefer Apple/iTunes to Netflix/Amazon/Vudu. But most streaming video just falls apart on a 110" projection screen w/ a Sony HW50 Cheers!
GoCaboNow: Just so I understand, the Cosmopolitan has no form of tensioning, correct? My CinemaContour with snaps tensions the high power material (I have HCHP, but that's irrelevant) quite well. If you tap it, it sounds like a drum. Pretty well tensioned. Only problem is some of the snaps sometimes are a little too hard to snap in, & pull the material so tight as to cause some small ripples near the edges of the screen. I only have that problem in the upper left &...
Thanks plasmaowner. Very interesting that you see no difference in ghosting between 24Hz & 60Hz. There goes my hypothesis :-PThe difference in ghosting between near vs. far objects is suspicious... points to something other than the display device as the problem.But, in the end, I just don't understand how the Sony has similar performance to the Epson with 3D movies (maybe a slight advantage to Epson according to Zombie?), yet pales in comparison to Epson for 3D...
Haha. I think I'm going to get some 'up lamps' that AVS user airscapes mentioned. Just don't like having the entire room dark. If the up lamps can provide a thin column of light shooting up in the corners of my room, perhaps that light won't bleed onto the screen? We'll see.
I don't know; we really need confirmation from plasmaowner that he was actually doing stereoscopic 3D on the Sony at 24p, and that there was not much ghosting in that mode. Would help if he also then ran the same game at 720/60p from his computer, and confirmed increased ghosting.That'd then point to the increased frame rate causing the ghosting, which'd most likely be due to the faster required switching times, placing far too high demands on the panels.Epson may have...
RE5, NFS Shift, etc. are not natively stereoscopic 3D games... are you using Nvidia's 3D software to get it stereoscopic?It was probably choppy b/c of 24Hz.If I understand you correctly & you actually played it in stereoscopic 3D (with glasses) at 24p on the Sony & there wasn't much ghosting, then it'd support my aforementioned hypothesis that it's the 60Hz that's killing 3D on the Sony projector by adding too much ghosting since the panels can't actually respond that...
Just confirmation of the validity of this test: Last night I left some minimal lights on in the room (some Christmas lights) for some 'ambient light'. Checked the shadow of my hand on the black bars... could barely see it. Turn off the lights, & yup, I can see the shadow again. So in my scenario: With a little bit of ambient lighting from my Christmas lights, I wouldn't benefit much from a projector with higher native contrast, b/c ambient reflections kill the...
Wow. $100. Yeah. Extremely lucky! Even a black case! Wouldn't mind having a pulldown one in front of my fixed-frame one for 3D. The HP 2.8 would likely have considerably more gain than whatever HCHP/Contrast Radiant I (hopefully happily) end up with.
Doug-- I like your idea of the two lights in the corners, appearing to shine upward? What are those/how did you do that? I'm amazed the HP 2.8 screen isn't lighting up your room (walls & ceilings)-- maybe b/c it's only 78"? I thought I heard somewhere that they went with smaller beads when going from 2.8 to 2.4 b/c of HD resolution... is that not true? Does the bead size on the 2.8 not interfere with 1080p resolution? I can't seem to find any 2.8 material for sale on...
Who said Sony 3D was unwatchable? Sure hope you're not quoting me-- I said it's unwatchable only for Crysis 2/Uncharted 3 games in stereoscopic 3D. Those are all 720/60p, very different from 1080/24p 3D Blu-Rays; the latter are perfectly watchable, with minor ghosting (that's certainly better than the Panny AE8000U I tested). Haven't seen JVC or Epson, though.