or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

Thanks for the report, Seegs108. For the record -- I think that's my photo you linked to above and to be fair: it had its contrast drastically boosted to show the striations. It only shows up in brighter scenes with less detail (sky, clouds, sand, all video games, etc.), but when it does show up, it's terribly distracting. Just looks like you're viewing through a dirty window or something. But your report seems to suggest it is possible to make a non-banding/dirty HCHP...
Actually, the general principle for retro-reflective is to have it as close to the viewer as possible to minimize the angle between projected light ray & light ray reflected back to the viewer.However, as long as this principle is adhered to, I believe it's better to have a longer throw (and longer concomitant viewing distance) than a shorter throw (and shorter concomitant viewing distance). Because any offset between projector & viewer position will lead to a larger...
I don't think this is true for retro-reflective screens that send most light straight back to the source. If you draw a light ray diagram, and if retroreflective screens (e.g. Da-Lite High Power) actually send most light back along the incident angle, then the optimal position for the projector is as close to the viewing position as possible. A long throw, far behind the viewer, for these screens actually leads to a larger angle between any light ray leaving the projector,...
Ha Nice home theater build, btw.Suppose I should mention the other possibilites of DFI that would not lead to the same loss in brightness across different processing modes. For example, in the 144Hz processing mode, you could handle the DFI in two different ways: one costs less brightness but causes flicker, while the other costs more brightness but reduces flicker:144Hz Processing, frame-sextupling:1-1-D-1-1-D | 2-2-D-2-2-D----1/24s---- |----2/24s----48Hz flicker, 2/6...
Is that your auto-iris at work?
Thanks Mark, & Kelvin. Agreed. Most everyone would benefit from a higher contrast projector. Just not if you're watching with a ton of ambient light in a white room with a huge matte white screen close to white walls/ceilings... where the 'signal' of everything else (ambient light/reflections) is so high that the change in black level from a higher contrast projector would be masked by said overwhelming ambient light/reflections. But, in that case, sure... you should...
But it doesn't have to, if implemented correctly.I drew up a little schematic of how I think DFI ('Dark Frame Insertion' or 'Film Projection' under 'MotionFlow') should work; here it is as a PDF:http://cl.ly/MQB9I believe the HW30/50 & VW95 are all using (2) in my schematic; namely, 96Hz processing with 48Hz flicker (frame doubling, then inserting a black frame between each frame).Since VW1000 owners are indicating they *don't* see any flicker with DFI on with 24p content,...
So we now have a n of 3 indicating that DFI ('Film Projection') on the VW1000ES has no flicker with 24p content.I really wonder why DFI is implemented poorly for 24p content in all their other projectors.I drew up a little schematic of how I think DFI should work; here it is as a PDF:http://cl.ly/MQB9I believe the HW30/50 & VW95 are all using (2) in my schematic; namely, 96Hz processing with 48Hz flicker (frame doubling, then inserting a black frame between each frame).I'd...
I drew up a little schematic of how I think DFI should work; here it is as a PDF: http://cl.ly/MQB9 I believe the HW30/50 & VW95 are all using (2) in my schematic; namely, 96Hz processing with 48Hz flicker (frame doubling, then inserting a black frame between each frame). I'd assume the VW1000 is at least using (3); namely 144Hz processing with 72Hz flicker (frame tripling, then inserting a black frame between each frame), if not higher. 72Hz flicker should not be...
You'd never see flicker with DFI off because SXRD/LCOS/LCD are sample-and-hold technologies. The 'default' state is not black, unlike plasma and CRT. There is no scanning or flashing of the image.Therefore, the frequency with which dark frames are inserted becomes of utmost importance to avoid flicker when DFI is enables. Similarly, on Panasonic's plasmas, for example, the frequency at which 24p content is played back is of utmost importance. Their lower end TVs flicker in...