or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

Question for VW1000 owners: When you enable 'Film Projection' (under 'Motionflow' in 'Picture' menu) for 24p Blu-Ray content (that is not pulled down to 60p), do you guys see flicker? On the HW50ES (and presumably on the HW30, VW95, etc.), 'Film Projection', or Dark Frame Insertion (DFI), introduces a 48Hz flicker that makes 24p content pretty unwatchable (especially visible in bright scenes). There are a few who claim that on the VW1000, this is not the case. That...
Yeah my point is that if you have so much ambient light/reflections that putting your hand in the light path to try & create a shadow in the black bar region of a 2.35:1 movie doesn't create much of a shadow, then you're likely not going to benefit much from a projector with lower black levels.Why? Simply because ambient light/reflections are raising the black floor of your image so much that lowering the black floor of the projected image wouldn't help much b/c the actual...
So Mark Haflich confirms that he doesn't see flicker with 24p content & DFI ('Film Projection') on on his VW1000ES. So is the VW1000ES frame tripling or quadrupling 24p content to achieve 72Hz or 96Hz flicker, respectively? If so, I wonder why their other projectors aren't doing it properly. Need confirmation of no flicker from other VW1000ES owners...
snyderkv-- you just appear to have done a great job of making the theater environment classy, clean, & inviting, while still avoiding contrast-killing reflections. That's very impressive. I think I've got a good combination with my grey high-gain surface (though I'm trying to get the Da-Lite HCHP swapped out with a Draper Contrast Radiant in the hopes that the latter isn't dirty & rife with patterns/banding) & 30" of Protostar material on my ceiling. May throw a dark rug...
Simple question for you all: People keep wondering whether or not they'd benefit from the black levels of a JVC even in a room that isn't very well light-controlled (light ceilings/walls, e.g.). Well, isn't this a simple way to tell if your setup would benefit from a projector with better black levels: On a 16:9 screen, put up 2.35:1 content. Put your hand up in the light path so you see its shadow on the bottom black bar. IF you see a significant shadow of your hand,...
Request to those HW50 owners experiencing lamp flickering: Please email installsupport@am.sony.com ... and tell them about your issue. Right now they're 'attempting to recreate the issue in their lab', which is a bit funny. I mean, how are they going to do that? Watch hundreds of hours of content on 20 different projectors trying to look for flicker? It's an intermittent problem, probably only isolated to certain units/lamps. Anyway, the more people they hear from the...
Interesting. You're absolutely sure the 1000ES does't flicker in 24p mode with DFI on? If so then Sony already figured out how to optimally implement DFI. But then didn't put it into the lower end projectors? Is that a technical limitation, or oversight?Proper implementation of DFI could be a major selling point for Sony. It essentially allows the projector to achieve near-DLP motion (to my eye, though someone should quantitate this using a motion resolution...
Ok, thanks.Just wish they frame tripled & added dark frames to make it 72Hz flicker. 48Hz flicker is annoying (I certainly don't miss it, and I doubt many others do). The motion handling is definitely sharper with DFI on... I've done numerous A/B comparisons.There shouldn't be any technical limitation to doing this. Unless their electronics only work at certain frequencies, in which case they'd have to be changed.
I sound like a Sony fanboy b/c I pointed out that you dialed in an incorrect setting and then complained about the picture? The reason you shouldn't use any other depth setting is b/c the L/R images have already been optimized during film production. When you change the depth setting, you're literally changing the offset of the L/R images... which may help ghosting for one element, but add ghosting for another element. The studio should've already optimized the content of...
Yeah that was me. All 3D games I own for the PS3 are unplayable on the HW50ES b/c of ghosting.During the movie/cut-scenes of Uncharted 3, the ghosting gets better if I change the depth setting sometimes. In the game, it's best at depth of 0 (default). Of course, depth should always be set to 0 (explained in detail elsewhere), unless I guess your eye-spacing is vastly different from what the content was optimized for?I don't know why there's a difference between the...