or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

I tried the Samsung A950 today with the LED light cycling on (LED Motion Plus under Detailed Settings: On). It did not help judder at all. Which makes me think that the 'Clear' option under MotionEnhancer doesn't JUST cycle the LEDs, but also performs some low level frame interpolation. WiWavelength, that may be of interest to you given your previous comment. I then started watching some of The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray with Motion Enhancer on the XBR8 set to 'Smooth' (the...
sharkcohen... went ahead and did the firmware update to 2007.0. Will see if I notice more judder on 1080i from HBO HD. Of course, no help on Baraka @ 1080/24p... the tea fields still judder up and down. If any of you have it, try 16:30... ooh those volcanoes & mountains judder like crazy. Turning AMP to Low fixes it, but, even with the firmware update, makes everything look soap-opera-ish.
Actually, while we're on the topic, what does the Samsung (w/ new firmware) do with 1080/60p content coming from a Blu-Ray player playing a 1080/24p movie? I know I said earlier it shouldn't do inverse telecine to it, but now I'm wondering if it would actually try to (if there's a flag saying that it originated at 24fps) to find the original 24 frames and then 5:5 pulldown to 120Hz, rather than just frame doubling the 60Hz (which would preserve 3:2 motion judder...
Also -- so you're saying that with Film Mode set to Auto 1, HBO HD 1080i content will be properly inverse telecined, so it will look just like my 1080/24p from Blu-Ray? I.E. it'll show as much judder as my 1080/24p Blu-Ray material? Not sure I want that But if you let me know where to get it (I'm still googling), I'll give it a shot for test purposes.
sharkcohen: really? Where do I find this firmware update? I can't find it on Samsung's site...
Yes Walford, you've got all that right. A 60Hz TV would take the 24 fps and 3:2 pulldown it to 60Hz, but without making it into interlaced fields. Which is 60p. As opposed to 60i. But that doesn't help judder. As you've pointed out. Which is why a 120Hz TV doing 5:5 pulldown would help the situation. Also realize that 24fps is never displayed at 24fps, not even in a theater. There'd be too much flicker. It's usually frame-duplicated to result in 48Hz, or even '3:3...
sharkcohen: thanks for trying to help out. The full line is: MODULE: T-AMBAUSC-2003.0, DATE : PANEL : 46A 71 , MICOM: T-AMBAUSM-1005 RFS: T-AMBAUSC-20080416, 2008-06-30 Also, Film mode only has 'Off' or 'Auto' as options... not 'Auto1' or Auto2'. Let me know if that means anything to you
sharkcohen: Film Mode: Auto Firmware: can't tell, but when I hit 'info' over SW Upgrade, I get a bunch of information that ends with: 2008416 and 2008-06-30 So... I'm assuming it's all pretty recent. TV was manufactured in July of 2008, and bought in September of this year.
VarmintCong: what firmware update for the Samsung A650? The last one I saw listed was in April about the 'Auto-Off' issue... has there been anything since? Specifically, anything regarding motion/enhancement? 42041: Yeah I think motion compression artifacts might distract from the judder... just a guess. And since I have some of you gathered here, may as well ask: why don't I see motion blur (ghosting) on my Panasonic AE-900 fed the same Comcast 1080i signal? Can't...
P.S. that thread with the list of all the TVs that support 5:5 -- where did he get his information from??