or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

Yes, Film Projection enables Dark Frame Insertion (DFI) which introduces and incredible amount of flicker for 24p content. For 60p content, the flicker is very subtle & the picture is completely watchable, even for someone very sensitive to flicker such as myself.The reason Dark Frame Insertion is sometimes desirable is that it helps with motion blur due to 'sample & hold effect' that LCDs typically have (Google for a good explanation). Furthermore, by forcing the liquid...
I don't think the Epson has NO ghosting. And, to be fair, the 3D default is 0, not 2; one should *never* touch the 3D depth settings. If it were up to me, I wouldn't even include the option in the menu.As for you thinking the images don't change fast enough in 3D on the Sony... it's really hard to decouple that from flicker due to lamp modulation. I believe the reason the Epson has less ghosting in 3D, if any, is because of the 480Hz processing to reduce ghosting/flicker,...
Could you elaborate on this? Are you speaking of when you're looking at the screen without the 3D glasses? If so, it may simply be that you're noticing is that the Sony flickers (b/c of its lamp modulation) while the Epson doesn't (doesn't modulate its lamp).It's kind of unlikely your eyes are seeing the frames being flashed individually, since I believe that occurs at 96Hz (flash each eye's frame twice; i.e., L1-R1-L1-R1-L2-R2-L2-R2, ignoring any dark frames) with the...
Wow snyderkv I am really jealous of you room/setup. Are those Magneplanar speakers?
Gotcha. As I understand it, the HP/HCHP has less sparklies than the 23-23 DNP material. I can confirm I rarely see sparklies on my HCHP; it's really quite amazing. Only in the brightest bright scenes (literally white) might I see it, and even then, only when the iris is wide open. Which it never is b/c I usually run on Auto Limited & cap the max the iris can open to about 2/3 stop darker than fully open. So, again, I almost never see sparklies. I'm pretty sensitive to them...
Please let us know what the signal info on the HW50 says when you're watching this offensive ghosting content... I'm really curious to see if it's 60p. I'm willing to bet it is.
Kev: did you ever consider Da-Lite High Power or High Contrast High Power screens? They're also designed to help with ambient light, since their off-axis gain is lower than on-axis gain (a property of retroreflective screens). Draper has Radiant & Contrast Radiant versions of HP & HCHP as well. My Da-Lite HCHP screen has weird vertical/horizontal banding, so I'm still searching for a replacement. Giving the Draper Contrast Radiant a try (hasn't arrived yet). DNP seems a...
Does the Epson show a similar level of ghosting as the Sony? From what I hear, it shouldn't. In general, I think Epson tends to have less ghosting than Sony in 3D. I wonder if that's because of the 480Hz processing/line-doubling method I think they use for 3D. Weird thing is though that the Panasonic PT-AE8000U had even more ghosting than the Sony. I figured the Panny used the same technology as Epson, since the PT-AE7000U review over at cine4home.de says the Panasonic...
That's exactly my experience when attempting to play Crisis 2 or Uncharted 3 in stereoscopic 3D from my PS3 on my HW50. Completely unwatchable. 3D Blu-Ray movies are totally watchable though.Don't know about your resolution issue. That's weird. But SBS is not as good as framepacked; there's always going to be a resolution cost with SBS.
tothjm, Could you go to the 'info' panel that gives you signal info on your projector? What signal is it receiving? I have found that any 3D (even framepacked) that is sent at 60p (60Hz) is unwatchable due to ghosting on the HW50. My hypothesis is that the panel just can't switch fast enough with 60p 3D content (would require 120Hz switching). With 24p 3D Blu-Ray, only 48Hz switching is required, which the panels can probably handle (although, I still see some ghosting...