or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

I remember asking this before, I think on this thread, so I figure I'd answer it here (though it'll probably get drowned in all the other discussion!): I always wondered why contrast ratios appear to increase as the iris is stopped down. I believe it's as simple as: when stopping down, you're using less of the outer portions of the lens surfaces. That means you're using more of its center, which is usually optically best. That center of the lens is not just better in...
Apart from it being some residual alcohol stuck in between beads where it may be harder to try, it could be whatever other stuff is mixed in with the denatured alcohol taking longer to dry. Just a guess.
What Kelvin said. You can't buy a $4k projector & put a $10 ND filter in front of it. I forget if my HW50 has a filter thread on the lens. If so, get the a B+W multi-coated (MRC) ND filter. B+W filters always have a great multi-layered coat that reduces reflections that would otherwise kill contrast or cause flare. That's my experience with cameras; don't know if it perfectly translates to projectors... as there's a really bright light source behind that lens! The other...
FYI I see the same thing, durack. Going to 'Auto Limited', which never allows the iris to open fully, immediately makes focus uniformity much better on my screen. Kind of sucks, b/c it means that as the lamp ages and you open up the iris, I'm going to get less focus uniformity. I guess that should be added to the focus uniformity check: check the NEC pattern with the iris fully open to see worst possible focus uniformity of your lens.
Sorry guys; I had to correct one of my statements above. The underlying weave/texture of the Draper Radiant, Contrast Radiant, Da-Lite HP & HCHP all appear to be the same. Makes me wonder if all the screen materials are sourced from the same manufacturer...
For the sake of not spreading misinformation: a close inspection of the underlying weave/texture of the Draper Contrast Radiant sample & the HCHP sample indicate that they're exactly the same material. Sorry, previously I'd said they were different; must've been the lighting. I went back & corrected all my posts. Sorry about that. Of course, this worries me now. Perhaps the Draper Contrast Radiant & HCHP are sourced from the same manufacturer... which wouldn't bode well.
Call Sony Installer Support: 1-866-924-7669Or email them: installsupport@am.sony.comThey'll probably ask for a video, like they did for me. Here's a Youtube video I uploaded showing flicker (note: Youtube transcoding makes it hard to see the flicker in the latter clips, but it's really evident in the first one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcbfPkaMloAnd, yes, 'Film Projection' (Dark Frame Insertion) is most certainly off. DFI is unusable for 24p content unless you 3:2...
Not sure I understand. CR & HCHP sound perfect for your room. Same for me.If you want a less directional retroreflective screen, get the Draper Radiant or the HP.The only real problem here is QC of the screens... seems both HCHP & HP have texture & may arrive very dirty (like I said, mine is so dirty has to have significantly less gain than all HCHP sample patches I received from Da-Lite).What remains to be seen is if Draper's full surfaces are any better.I'll post some...
I redid a test tonight to quantitate gains of HP, HCHP, Draper Contrast Radiant, & Draper Radiant using the patches only (instead of my full HCHP 110" screen). Will quantitate all that and post back tomorrow. As it turns out, preliminarily just looking at the photos, my 110" HCHP screen has lower gain than the HCHP sample patch Da-Lite sent me. Most likely due to my NEW screen being really dirty (well, that's one explanation anyway)... Hence re-quantitation of my gain...
By which you mean 'The Dark Knight Rises' Also, I can't un-see crap... therein lies the problem.And seriously, no excuses for:(1) Really bad focus non-uniformity (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436740/sony-vpl-hw50es-focus-nonuniformity):(2) Dirty screen/texture in a new $1200 screen:(3) Ripples in a permanently tensioned screen upon assembly:(4) Lamp flicker (video):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcbfPkaMloThe youtube transcoding made it hard to see the flicker in the...