or Connect

Posts by sippyCUP

Hey all, I've got a pair of Ascend CBM-170's, an adcom gfa-535 stereo amp, and... that's it. However, I've also got a 2TB hard drive housed in a beautiful white Fractal Design case. I pretty much do 320 mbps mp3s exclusively. My roommates have a PS3... using PS3mediaserver, I can stream music to the PS3. Probably don't want to use the analog outputs, tho... am I right? I was thinking about a Parasound P/HP-850, but then I'd be using the PS3 line outs which I dunno...
I am putting together a projector and 5.1 system (ascend speakers and adcom power amps) for my bedroom whose sole source will be a HTPC. I am wondering if there is any consumer or professional grade sound card/audio interfaces that can function as a preamp for this system, or if I pretty much need to buy an inexpensive receiver and use its line outs. About 8 years ago, I had a hercules game theater xp that had 5.1 RCA jack outputs on an external box, but lacked true...
I was playing dvds on a Playstation 2 via s-video on my Toshiba 30HD85 16:9 HDTV for a while and I had to use the TV's various widescreen modes to get the correct aspect ratio. I didn't anticipate having to do this when I bought the TV... after all, it's 16:9, and those are the movies I watch, right? I guess some of this has to do with anisotropic ratios and the like, IE there are different widescreen ratios besides 16:9 such that one setting does not fit all widescreen...
I can't BUY one of these 30" sanyos because walmart can't seem to stock their shelves. Been trying for a week and a half... This is the only time in my life when throwing down 500 bucks involved difficulty :p .
Here's the deal: a 26'1" by 10'1" living room with a vtf-2, stereo ascend cbm 170's, a denon avd2000 theater preamp, and an adcom gfa-535 60wpc for amplification. The room is wood paneling throughout (ouch, I know) and I believe we're going to situation the television along the long wall so that it faces the width direction (the shorter end, only 10' or less to the TV and speakers). Will my 60 WPC be enough? I have a feeling it will be given the short distance to the TV...
I lost the auction so I think I'm going to go pick up that Sanyo pretty soon, perhaps this afternoon. I've been reading the Sanyo thread and there seems to be no reason not to go for it. Really, I know that any HDTV I buy is going to be amazing to me; it's not the difference between HDTVs so much as the difference from SDTVs.
So from an objective performance viewpoint the Sanyo actually outperforms the Sony set? If that's the case, I have no problem with "settling" with the Sanyo :p . The auction I'm looking at for the Sony ends in about an hour, based on what you said I won't pay more for the bid + gas than the Sanyo set which is on sale for $478 + 9.5% tax = maybe about $525-$530.
That helps a lot, thank you! I am trying to find a Sanyo, Walmart doesn't seem to have the 30" crt on their site or the 32" tube for that matter. Perhaps in-store. There is a 30" sony HD tube on ebay right now, local pickup or freight. Geographically, it's 2.5 hours from me. Trying to decide how much money I should bid on it, it's "less than a year old" and I trust sony so much more than orion toshiba.
I'm a student moving into an apartment with two other guys, and I was initially going to get some crappy pawn shop TV because I don't really watch much TV. However, I was thinking that since I have a nice stereo and I like watching movies, it would be nice to have an HDTV, since if I did it right I could keep it for the next 10 years or so. My living situation makes a 30" TV pretty much perfect (10' wide room with the TV positioned widthwise from the couch). I was...
But you can't select a track that you want to hear without getting up and sitting down in front of the computer. I guess you could set up your playlist beforehand and go with that. The thing is, I'm moving back in with my parents in a few months and am going to use their living room as the location for my system, and I can't forsee them allowing me to put a computer in there, besides maybe a laptop and then I could use a usb2 optical out gizmo.