or Connect

Posts by thepoohcontinuum

Go into the Host Diagnostics screen (directions here - link). If the Host Diag / DVI/HDMI Status says "Mode: DVI", then you're operating in monitor mode and 4:4:4 should work. If it says anything else such as... Mode: HDMI AVI: - Aspect Ratio: 16x9 - Active Format AR: Undefined Value (8) - Color Space : YCbCr 4:4:4 - Colorimetry: Undefined Value(3) - Extended Colormetry: XVYCC709 ... 4:4:4 will fail (even though color space says 4:4:4). So the key is to figure out...
The LD450 series is a 2010 model, so finding one brand new is pretty much impossible now. I recommend keeping an eye out for the LK450 series (pretty much identical to the LD450). LG is releasing their 2012 sets soon so the LK450 should be put on clearance pricing soon after.
I have the LD450, so I'm not sure if this is the same for the LK450... but I can only get 4:4:4 if the Host Diag / DVI/HDMI Status says "Mode: DVI". If it says anything else, 4:4:4 fails, even if the Host Diag says otherwise, like below... Mode: HDMI AVI: - Aspect Ratio: 16x9 - Active Format AR: Undefined Value (8) - Color Space : YCbCr 4:4:4 - Colorimetry: Undefined Value(3) - Extended Colormetry: XVYCC709 So the key is to figure out settings that gets the DVI/HDMI...
Good grief man, calm down. You don't have to take everything as a personal attack (which I wasn't even going for). Its great you found a TV you enjoy, as that all that really matters.This forum is an information repository. Readers come here to do research and/or read up on current AV matters. You presented your case why 444 is useless, and I made a defense on why 444 is important. All you have to go by is your anecdotal experience, whereas I have...
I have never seen the U3 in person, so I can't comment on how well it handles chroma subsampling. Regardless, 4:4:4 *is* a critical factor for those that want to use a TV as a PC monitor; and not just something blown out of proportion. Now, I will admit that if all you do is look at pictures and black/white text, then 4:4:4 is not a huge big deal. But when it comes to colorful text, lack of 4:4:4 becomes hugely apparent.Use bspvette86's 444 test or look at the...
If you have a harmony remote, you can use the directions here to get into the ez-adjust menu -- http://harmonylghack.wikispaces.com/ Edit: oops, this was already posted in the link you gave, nevermind. If you want to look at the host diagnostics screen, you can use the standard remote and follow these directions -- http://www.lg-hack.info/cgi-bin/sn_f...pg=1&sc=20&x=0
From Colmino's pic, the RCA does not pass 444. To the right of the bright red subpixels, you can see faded red subpixels.When comparing your 'black level normal' pic with Ryz's results, it seems your blue subpixel is lit, whereas in Ryz's case his green subpixel is lit. What happens if you bump the test pic by one pixel vertically? Is the subpixel still blue or is it now green?Also, there also seems to be a chroma anomaly where the red columns meet the blue columns --...
Hi Porter. Since you're from [h], I guess you already saw the discussion from Ryz about the black level low setting / black crush / pseudo 4:4:4. I don't think there was ever a definitive answer that came out of it though. Still, even if there is black crush, how's the severity of it? You can try lagom's black level test to see how bad it is -- link. If it isn't too bad, I wouldn't worry about it too much, since your magenta result looks perfect. And subpixel layout...
The only other way I see it is to use the Red/White RCA audio connections between Bell and Receiver. However, this will only net you 2.0 stereo sound. Also, if using HDMI for video out (like my schematic shows), you might not get audio out from the Red/White RCA -- as that output might be tied to Yellow RCA or Component. Try it out and see if it works. If the above fails, then you'll have to forego HDMI and instead use Component (to TV) and Red/White RCA (to Receiver).
I agree with JoshZH's pros and cons. When comparing the S-IPS and VA panels of the LD450 (last year's version of the LK450), I also prefer the PQ of the S-IPS. Was it a night-and-day difference better? No way. If I didn't know the existence of one or the other, I would have been happy with either panel. Granted, I don't have a colorimeter to quantify the differences, but from eye-ball adjustments using test patterns, the S-IPS was the winner in my eyes. By the...