or Connect

Posts by mrow2

Hi -- Wondering if any of you could help me. I've been bumping around for a few days reading posts about set-top media streamer devices. My need is this, at least initially: Have a basic HT, small room, 700 series Samsung display 2yrs old 120Hz., 6.1 audio, decent speakers, Oppo player., no Blu Ray / not too interested in that and all it entails for now. It's ok for me, trying not to spend a ton. No one else watches it, we have a smaller set in Liv Room where wife...
Have a Samsung 700 series LCD flat panel with HDMI, S-Vid, Component inputs. What device should I consider for good video file playback made of archival ISO files I have of program material. Looking for good rendition, minimal picture tearing. Presume the audio is just L & R but my amp may be able to simulate surround with it. I am looking to avoid having to buy another PC (shelf space, fan noise are a problem) just to connect to this TV but have a need to view various...
Those are not infomercials!!! They are public service announcements for the late-comers.
I was out in Riverside yesterday to check the M-I-L's set and do a re-scan on the Zenith set box. I put the antenna on the roof a couple months ago to get ready for this. It's not a big rig, just a standard small to medium size Winegard type design with UHF Yagi at the front end. The stations come in strong, with the Zenith it's just a sliding bar meter but I'd put it at around 80-90 for most stations. Didn't note any problems. A decent rooftop antenna is important...
The noisy 32 inch LCD my Sis bought last year, Walmart. We ended up keeping it. The DVD player searches constantly (motor and laser head noise) unless there is a disc inside. We put a disc that isn't important inside and it stops searching after the set is turned on and if the DVD is not told to play a disc. Half a minute of this and it's quiet; It defaults to "off" if not called. Problem solved. The set otherwise is pretty nice. She wanted a low price and to be able to...
bjfoien kindly responded (Thanks for feedback!) to my L side vertical line on NBC in "Just Scan" mode but I still have a couple issues if anyone could help: Other question. Right side of screen - - the extreme right vertical portion, maybe 1.5 inches wide spanning top to bottom or so, is a little darker than the rest of the image or gray raster. Standing to side makes it more noticeable. Watching a moving image, not noticeable. How concerned should I be and is it...
46in model 750 two months old -- 2 different conditions. They may be addressed in this thread, but like finding needles in 15 story haystack. When pic size mode is set to "Just Scan" and not 16:9, on NBC 1080 broadcast only, there is a brightly colored vertical band on L side of screen, kind of a bright yellow though I have not looked at it up close to see what colors are combining to make it. When I shift it to 16:9 mode naturally it is cropped out. I was looking for a...
I have a Philips DVD/HDD recorder. Have had mixed results with Closed captioning. Have noticed if I use one of my new digital ATSC converters with a VHS (presume also with the DVR unit) recorder that I can overlay the broadcast captions on the tape, this is ok if I'm recording TV material but much of my viewing is done on commercial DVDs and rips and the CCs on those, where applicable, don't seem to pass through as we've already discussed. This is really a shame, and I...
My words are not clear: I know that some discs have subtitles and that those will pass through as they are imbedded in the program material somehow, but the captions are what I am asking about. Wondering if there is some kind of workaround or any particular player that will combine these through to the upscaled images.
I bought a Panny DVD-S53 Black upscaling player at Fry's last week. Best picture I've had on any player I've owned, but I have a few questions regarding upscaling and picture settings: Am noticing vertical banding, evenly spaced banding on material when set to 1080p and sharpest settings, minimal noise removal, minimal filters etc. This is diminished somewhat if I use any of the various filters. The player has a lot of different choices. Is this a common problem or...