or Connect

Posts by dklayn

Given that it's apparent you're serious about audio (nice setup, btw), you should consider better than settling for transcoded DD @ 640 kbps with an A3. Since you seem somewhat budget conscience, I would suggest you grab an Onkyo Professional PR-SC885P prepro. This is from Onkyo's Professional line and is miles above their consumer-grade Onkyo brand receivers that are a dime a dozen. More information at: http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=...eamplifier&p=i I would...
Yeah, the DVD CSS prevents licensees from making players that pass standard DVD over component. It was to prevent an 'analog hole' for piracy back when DVDs were still considered secure and digitally uncopyable. Amusingly, many players will pass DVD over VGA though -- the main ones being the current game consoles. While VGA and component are both 'analog holes', the DVD CSS only specifically prohibited component. Loop holes are fun. The A2 crushing blacks and not passing...
I believe you're misunderstanding the responses. I'm certain everyone here agrees 100% that having a player that errors out is terrible and isn't shouldn't you should live with. This isn't a format problem though. These players are mature and generally don't error out. Yes, you should bring that player back to the store. But, you shouldn't flat out return it and go home. It's clearly a defective player; working players don't have errors "with no rhyme or reason". You...
I've had a Denon 3805 for over two years now. In my opinion, it's a very good receiver. Like you, the only feature I'm missing is HDMI. The new Onkyo beats the 3805 on features/processing big time. The question that remains is how do they compare in the audio department? The SR-805 is debuting with an MSRP of $1099, the 3805 debuted at $1199. Price usually doesn't say much, but it's clear these two receivers are targeted at the same market segment. Of course, the 3805...
My plans don't change. I purchased an A2 for $160 for low-price entry into HD movies NOW. As a gamer, I'll eventually be purchasing a PS3 (probably in 2009 once Final Fantasy drops) which will give me BD then. HD DVD was already providing enough movies to keep me occupied until the PS3 purchase, so this additional news doesn't really change much. Again, this isn't DVD-A/SACD all over again. Both formats can survive, and will survive even if they don't hit mass market...
You're wanting to use analog inputs, not any of the digital inputs (optical, coax, etc). It looks like you need to enable Multichannel input on your receiver. From the manual that I found online, it says: "Press the [RECEIVER] REMOTE MODE button, followed by the [MULTI CH] button. The MULTI CH indicator appears on the display." It also looks like you need to be using the "DVD" input source.
It really depends on what you look for in films. I read a lot of novels, and such a reality has led me to care little about story and character depth in movies. In my opinion, no movie can ever express a story as well as a novel that takes 40 hours to read and absorb. For me, movies are about fun and engaging entertainment. My favorite genre therefore tends to be high-action films. In my eyes, 300 is the pinnacle movie in that genre. It's a film packed full of fast...
HD-A2 Firmware: 2.2 Boot Time: 35 seconds Eject button to tray open: 3 seconds DVD Load Time: 15 seconds HD-DVD Load Time: 26 seconds
It's all speculation, but this is a good read: http://www.n4g.com/News-55856.aspx
TrueHD is generally going to be better in all occasions. Since it's lossless, the player can reconstruct the original audio and then encode it straight into DTS 1.5 Mbps; the result should be identical to a direct DTS 1.5 Mbps encoding that could be done in the studio. Dolby Digital Plus, while better than Dolby Digital, is still lossy. The player is decoding the stream into something that isn't the original audio and which is already missing some information and then...