or Connect

Posts by dklayn

It wasn't even that receivers were better at decoding; the decoded PCM from a receiver and from an $20 DVD player should be identical. It's a pure digital conversion. The problem has always been that "in player" decoding used to mean "in player" D/A conversion as well. The only way to pass the decoded result was through analog connections. Clearly, everyone would rather use the DACs and post-processing abilities of their receiver rather than their source component. As you...
I really wonder if analog-outs will return on the lower-end models. I doubt it. I imagine these will simply be lower-cost SoC editions of the current A2 line-up aimed at filling the channel before a serious price-cut for the holidays. I wouldn't be surprised if $149 is standard for the A3 coming into mid-November. Luckily CEDIA is soon and the final specs will be known quickly. The existence of G3s in two months does complicate my plans though. I finally decided to buy...
Paper Mario is more like a "spiritual sucessor" to Mario RPG than a direct sequel or remake. Similar to how Elite Beat Agents is considered a "spiritual sucessor" to Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Mario & Luigi Partners in Time also fall into this realm. Granted, this is just splitting hairs and SMRPG and the Paper Mario series meld together quite well. As for me, I've already played SMRPG -- hence the need to start with Paper Mario. It's been...
Now, if only they can release Paper Mario and Bomberman 64. The N64 was the one Nintendo console I skipped (Final Fantasy went PS1, and therefore so did I) but I've been meaning to purchase a used one lately to play Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, and Bomberman 64. All great games I had a chance to play on a friend's system back in the day. Heck, my wife and I own Paper Mario 2 for the GCN and will be buying Super Paper Mario for the Wii when it comes out this year, but...
Technically, Costco has an open-ended return policy that allows one to return a product at anytime for any reason with the exception of computers. Plenty of "abuse stories" online that can be found of folks who return products 4-5 years later for no reason; simply to upgrade. My personal stance on electronics with Costco is considerably more strict though. I'd be willing to return an item up to 6 months if I simply found something better or didn't like it for some...
They did for my AE900 back in June, and Costco wasn't an authorized vendor then just like they aren't now. I highly doubt Costco would advertise the rebate if it wasn't going to be accepted. And yes, a printout of my online receipt and the UPC was all that was needed. Keep in mind that if this doesn't work for some stupid reason you can return the projector for a full cash refund, including shipping.
I was able to play a demo (up to the first boss stage) version of Smooth Moves at the Nintendo Fusion tour a few months back. My wife and I clearly felt it was the best game there. The other games were Wii Sports Tenis, Wii Sports Bowling, and Excite Truck -- in other words, the focus was clearly on the new controller scheme and hyper gameplay games. Of course, the Fusion tour was basically a "stand in line 30-45 minutes watching others, play game for 8-12 minutes,...
New the birth of new gaming genres doesn't deprecate old genres. Just because the Wii has motion sensing/pointer functionality and 3D rendering abilities doesn't mean all games released on the system should use them. Different games benefit from completely different styles. For example, it's my opinion that the Super Mario franchise was best in 2D form, and that the move to 3D detracted from the gameplay. On the other hand, Zelda's move to 3D was a great move and the...
I suggest you go out and rent Elebits and give that a shot. After the first 15 minutes getting used to the game, it's addictive and amazingly fun. It's also a game that really couldn't have been done on any console besides the Wii, as the remote is absolutely essential to the game's mechanics. Wii Sports and Elebits are really the only two games that absolutely require the new controller.
Absolutely. This is the reason I still own my GC and will always own my GC. The Gameboy Player is an absolute must. The GBA Castlevania and Megaman games are home console quality and thus deserve to be played in 480p (which the player supports) on a large TV with a proper controller. Likewise, there's the various SNES ports to the GBA -- the Final Fantasies, Super Mario 1 through Yoshi's Island, etc -- which still make the GC with GBA player a better "virtual console" than...