or Connect

Posts by dklayn

The Wii can only output 480p60 at max which is extremely easy for any cable to do correctly. Heck, people were modding their composite cable into component cables and using paperclips for pins and the results were great. Seriously, any cable should be as good as the next unless you're running your cable beneath some giant electric motor/compressor (ie. your refrigator) and require insane EM shielding.
I wonder if this whole mess has to deal with how Nintendo pays third-parties for their VC content. Ie. if Nintendo pays third-parties a royalty on every title sale, it would be better for them to transfer a VC account that already contains content over to a new Wii instead of adding points to a new account that then repurchases the games and generates a new royalty payment. While we see the VC points issue as a "it's all going to Nintendo, so it shouldn't be a big deal to...
Not quite. That article refers to someone who has found a method of gaining title keys for HD DVDs and has subsequently posted those title keys as well as used them to decrypt the discs using the non-secret, very public AACS decryption algorithm. The significance of this work isn't that big of a deal. Sure, the discs for which the title keys are published are now completely unprotected (Full Metal Jacket, Van Helsing, Tomb Raider 1, Apollo 13, The Last Samurai, and The...
480p doesn't force widescreen. RE4 looks great in 480p, 4:3 -- don't let your darn TV stretch it out to 16:9. 480p 4:3 is still considerably better than 480i 4:3. I won't play RE4 in anything less than 480p. Eternal Darkness wasn't abandoned. The company that made it -- Silicon Knights -- finished up their contract with Nintendo and ended up moving to Microsoft to make 360 games. They are currently working on a title called Too Human, and have confirmed that a sequel to ED...
Super Mario Strikers is amazing fun, still play that nearly every night. Runs in 480p, 16:9, with Pro-Logic II surround. Very nice. If you enjoy fighting games, Soul Caliber II is also great and also runs 480p, 16:9. Super Smash Bro's is also fantastic and is 480p, 4:3. Star Fox Adventure is 480p, 16:9 but the game is (in my opinion) a B- if Zelda is considered an A. It's a great looking game and reasonably fun, but it's less about puzzles and more about time...
It still seems silly to me to price based on system/age. Games clearly haven't improved with each generation. There's a reason all the various "Top 100 Games" list tend to include a ton of games from N64/PS era and back; and it's not just nostalgia. If I went to Amazon right now and started looking to buy a new CD, music from the 60s would end up costing me around the same as music from this year. A DVD of Wizard of Oz (1939) would cost me the same as a DVD of LOTR: Return...
Sure, add them to the list. I haven't played RE4 in ages so I forgot about that, and I keep considering Twilight Princess a Wii game and thus never include it any lists that attempt to showcase the GC. They're both good example though. The point I was trying to make, however, is that there are only a handful of GC games that fully utilize the GC hardware and look stunning -- the majority don't. The PS2, on the other hand, has several developers who utilize the hardware to...
There used to be a product mentioned on Lik-Sang (RIP) a while back that was basically an adapter you placed over the top screen which had a camera in it and would show the camera's output on the TV. Bottom screen, of course, was still on the DS only since you'd need it for touchscreen purposes anyway. I believe the product was discounted though because no one wanted it, but feel free to Google for it. I've always enjoyed playing GBA games on the TV via my Gamecube's...
In my opinion, the Wii is powerful enough to satisify the mainstream gamer. Remember, the Wii > XBox > GC > PS2. In fact, compared to a PS2 the Wii is considerably more powerful. Yet, the PS2 was/is powerful enough to satisify the greatest number of home console gamers ever -- and was home to graphics that people still consider fantastic and good enough. Last generation went to the PS2 despite it being the least powerful of the systems. For some reason, people didn't seem...
I have yet to purchase SMB at $5 since I'm looking to find the Gameboy Color re-release that came out a few years back (with a ton of extra features and competition modes) which will play happily "on the big screen" in 480p via my Gamecube's Gameboy Player -- just like how I won't buy VC editions of Mario 2 through World or Link to the Past given that I own all GBA re-releases and play them via my GC. All things considered though, $5 isn't asking too much given that you...