or Connect

Posts by cyberbeing

I downloaded the latest build just now, but collink [CRC: A2389135] from 6/7/2013 still only accepts -r255.If I try to use -r256 I get the error message "Diagnostic: Resolution flag (-r) argument out of range (256) " with it aborting and showing help text.
collink -a display.calI've not been using dispcal -E since my displays natively support 0-255.It just seemed that even if the 0-255 VideoLUT .cal file mapped 0 = R0-G0-B0, "collink -a display.cal" would raise the black level in the 3DLUT.If I didn't include "-a display.cal", the black level in the 3DLUT would map to 0 after madVR did 16-235->0-255. And for obvious reasons, since the VideoLUT .cal file had 0 = R0-G0-B0, black level wouldn't be raised at all.Two cases with...
Optimally, you should indeed have madVR, GPU driver, and Display set to 0-255 fullrange RGB, assuming your display supports it well.Don't be confused. The AVS HD 709 black clipping test pattern is a specially designed as full-range for checking proper 16-235 -> 0-255 levels expansion. The bars labeled 1-15 are BTB (blacker than black) information outside the valid 16-235 video range, which do not normally exist. That bar labeled 16 actually is video range Y=16 prior to...
The GDM-F520 and related monitors like the GDM-C520K, have had occasional complaints over the years from users about blues tones appear more purple than normal, which makes sense considering that is exactly where the gamut is lacking the most. With the exception of the Blue phosphor, these CRTs come much closer the the gamut of Rec601 (SDTV) than they do Rec709 (HDTV). I would assume the Sony reserved the highest quality phosphors for their broadcast grade mastering...
From my own testing, using collink -a to include a calibration file raises the black level rather significantly even when using -Ib with a linear VideoLUT. While using collink without -a and calibrated VideoLUT potentially doesn't raise black level at all. Playing around with CIECAM02, always results in a non-zero and occasionally significantly elevated black level depending on the source parameters.I'd suspect this may be because you are not taking into account the effect...
For what's its worth, here is the 2D and 3D the gamut of the GDM-F520 (white) compared to Rec709 (colored) as measured by an i1pro rev D. I've owed 3 GDM-F520 over the years, and they all had identical gamuts. Unfortunately these CRTs do have a gamut boundary significantly smaller than Rec709 in some areas, and there isn't really much you can do about it other than shrink the gamut even further and correct in-gamut saturations with an ICC profile or 3DLUT. Going from L* 64...
RGB levels is more of representation of deviation from your white point reference (i.e. D65), and not what I'm referring to.I'm talking about the "Gamma graph" (Graphs->Gamma Graph or toolbar button) which can also be seen in the Information "Gamma" drop-down from the main ColorHCFR window. By default it only shows a Yellow luminance line. You need to right click on the Gamma Graph display and enabled the individual Red, Green, and Blue gamma plots. It will be populated...
If the GDM-FW900 is anything like my GDM-F520, increasing Brightness/Bias will lower gamma at the expense of black level. You can get various types of curves by tweaking the ratios between the individual Red/Green/Blue Brightness/Bias & and Master Brightness/Bias. For example, last week I successfully got my GDM-F520 to reproduce something very close to a BT.1886 curve naturally. When using HCFR with a CRT like this, you should also remember to enable Red, Green, Blue...
This could be related, since during the past few weeks I have been occasionally running a background task with heavy I/O on a network (internet) mounted virtual filesystem via CBFS3 + Bitcasa, which occasionally seemed to cause spikes of latency and processing delays system-wide within the Windows OS itself. I can't remember if this was the case each time these errors occurred, but it's possible.I've not yet had a chance to do more testing with this myself. But thus far,...
I'm noticing a bit of strange behavior with black levels as well, after trying to use dispcal before collink once again."collink -a disp.cal" + Linear VideoLUT has a much higher black level than "collink" without "-a" + Dispcal VideoLUT."collink -IB -a disp.cal" clips at 10 on the black clip pattern. (Black = ~0.096 cd/m2 w/ Linear VideoLUT)"collink -Ib:2.4 -a disp.cal" clips at 13 on the black clip pattern. (Black = ~0.066 cd/m2 w/ Linear VideoLUT)"collink -IB" clips at...