or Connect

Posts by JediSpork

It does have a geq filter option that lets me set some levels manually. Thanks for clarification about the other receivers having more mic positions. Maybe when I'm feeling adventurous I could pickup a usb mic and goof around with rew. Until all the 4k hdmi specs are ironed out I'm fine with a cheaper receiver. While maybe a little less power don't they use the same DAC anyway?
I simply sat the mic on the back of my chair, moved away from it, kept quiet, and ran the calibration. I didn't see anything in the directions about multiple positions for the mic. I will give it another try ...
This was my first time using a auto calibration setup on a receiver. Normally I just set the trim levels manually with a spl meter. Everything seemed to be lacking detail. I raised the center channel volume because at times the dialogue was difficult to understand. This made it louder but didn't improve clarity much. I started goofing around with the settings and I shut off peq (is this what ypao uses?) I had a instant improvement in sound quality. Everything was clearer...
When we built our room I didn't have many plans. I decided how large the room should be and that I wanted xps against the foundation for mold resistance. I hired my cousin who frames houses for a living. We literally just went down there and started building. My uncle that works in hvac and is quite good as a handyman did the rest of the work with me helping. I also stained the concrete floor for low maintenance and further mold resistance. We do use a large area rug...
The bulb in my current projector went out. Have a 60" in the living room and the movie room. Even with the flat panel we still used our basement room with the lights out. I may like the dedicated space more than I thought. Mainly because I have all the acoustic treatments and proper surround setup as well. However with 80" sets coming down in price why bother trying to deal with a projector in a non dedicated place? I've always wanted to get away from projectors anyway...
My pa70g is quite dull compared to my epson 8350 and my older sharp dt -510 (720p). After the bulb went out in my epson I was much happier using a smaller plasma instead of the led projector. It seems they have a long way to go before you can get good quality in this price range vs a bulb based model. I ended up buying a new bulb for my 8350. 70 - 80 " flat panels seem to be coming down in price and may be what I look at next vs a led projector.
We can afford it as well. However I'm fanatical about getting rid of monthly fee's. Even with all those services do you still run out of things to watch? We've had sat/cable off and on. I don't channel surf and dvr whatever shows I'm interested in. Most of what we record is network tv. Usually I'm not keeping up on more than 2 pay tv shows at a time. Which would end up being less than $6 a week if I did amazon subs. Still cheaper than cable and its nice to "keep up"...
I think it makes sense to replace cable boxes and satellite receivers with ethernet connected devices. I have a roku ,apple tv, and hopper at the moment. I just hope they come up with a better way than having to add each channel individually and verify your account. Also some of the stations available on roku don't have the same stuff as you can record from the full service. Can you get something like hbo through the xfinity channel without having to add other stuff? I...
My Wife and I seem to have exhausted the netflix library for content we are interested in. Even my Dad who watches a lot of the cheesey monster movies is getting bored. Its not a bad service but we will probably use it as needed from now on. I think the only current shows that we watch and eventually comes to netflix is walking dead and continuum. I already have a prime membership for the shipping so watching doctor who and a few other shows there is a nice...
I found some of the ad's to be extremely annoying ... like the chase gas station commercial. No pay tv service should have ad's or no way to ff through them. Most of these shows you can already watch through the network web site anyway for free. I still think the best way is a OTA dvr and if you do it on a pc no monthly fee's.