or Connect

Posts by Drew_Almighty

Quote: Originally Posted by Targus Providing an s-video output probably adds about $0.03 to the cost of the box. S-video IS NTSC, it just has seperate chhroma and luma, if you combine them, you have a composite signal. I hate to be a PITA, but if you can say that S-video is NTSC because it just has separate chroma and luma, couldn't you also say that composite is also NTSC, it just has the luma, Pb, and Pr separated? If splitting the...
Quote: Originally Posted by hometheaterguy Super Video gives better colors. Using the Component Video interconnection allows a better picture from your DVD player, to EDTV or 480P if your player is progressive scan. I would suggest paying for the HD service and getting a box that has Component out and go with a HDTV as mentioned for the best clarity. Yeah, for now I plan on connecting my DVD player using the component video connections and my...
Quote: Originally Posted by Targus Sort of, there's no reason for the cable company to convert a composite signal to component, it doesn't gain you anything. OK, I get that, but why then would they provide an S-Video out if composite is as good as it's gonna get? And, the truth is that I've tried both the composite and the S-Video out and they look the same to my untrained eye.
Quote: Originally Posted by Targus S-video is still NTSC. It just seperates the chroma and the luma. The source signals are composite, so outputting anythine 'better' is pointless. I guess what you are saying is that there isn't any cable service that is capable of sending me a true separated signal (component) unless it's HDTV, and since my tv is only EDTV, it won't work anyway. So the S-Video and Component inputs on my t.v. are only useful...
Quote: Originally Posted by Targus Since it's not an HD box, the only source for it is composite video. The box would have to transcode the composite video to component, which doesn't gain you anything. Digital cable refers to the delivery method, it doesn't mean the signals are HD. I understand it is analog, but it DOES offer the option of S-Video. I am assuming the box is outputting that signal which is better than composite.
I tried to get them to upgrade the box, but then they want me to pay for HD service and my TV isn't an HDTV. But it is apparenty good enough to include component video......unlike that cable box/DVR.
Yeah, it's not the 8300HD, just the plain 8300. No firewire, no HDMI, no component video. Just composite and S-Video. But still, why would they make ANY digital box with no component out? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of making the jump to digitial?
I upgraded to digital cable yesterday (using WideOpenWest cable service). They brought out a "Scientific Atlanta 8300" DVR/Digital Cable Box and of course hooked it up using the composite video out. I went behind the t.v. today to change the connection over to component video (since my 36" Sony FD Trinitron WEGA has component video connections) and I was shocked to find that S-video was as good as it gets on the SA 8300. Doesn't paying more money for digital cable to...
I upgraded to digital cable yesterday (using WideOpenWest cable service). They brought out a "Scientific Atlanta 8300" DVR/Digital Cable Box and of course hooked it up using the composite video out. I went behind the t.v. today to change the connection over to component video (since my 36" Sony FD Trinitron WEGA has component video connections) and I was shocked to find that S-video was as good as it gets on the SA 8300. Doesn't paying more money for digital cable...