or Connect

Posts by FLBoy

The rule I've always heard for screen height is to place the screen such that 1/3 of the viewing area is below viewer's eye level, and 2/3 of the viewing area is above. For example, with a 60" high viewing area and a 38" high viewer's eye level, that would mean the bottom of the viewing area should be 38" - (60/3)" = 18" above the floor. Works for me.
Yes, but not all 'scope movies are 2.35:1. You'll find a good explanation of aspect ratio here.
Nifty idea. I've not seen it. Might look slicker if you make the exposed side when not in use match the color of the wall around the screen instead of making both sides black.
In a word, yes. If you want to evaluate the gain for various projector positions, feel free to try out my screen gain calculator (below).
The Da-Lite High Power material is retro-reflective. It behaves very differently compared to the typical angular-reflective screen. Center viewing positions will see a bright image with no hot-spotting. Viewers in off-center seats will see a dimmer overall image, but still will see no hot-spotting. You have to walk right up to the screen to force any perceptible side-to-side brightness nonuniformity, but you would never watch a movie that close to the screen.
Jahwerx- I don't think you will be disappointed with the black level of the AE2000U. Some people are just obsessed with black level. My PJ is LCD (Epson 1080 Home), and I'm happy with it. The blacks are not quite as black as the velvet frame around the screen, but neither are most "black" things in the real world. A grey screen will improve the contrast (compared to a white screen) if you have white walls and ceiling that bounce a lot of light from the bright areas...
Short throw = brightest image, but slightly poorer contrast and resolution. Long throw = dimmest image, but slightly better contrast and resolution. Using either extreme end of the zoom range is not a good idea. I like to stay somewhere in the middle, when possible. Based on your taupe-colored walls and your fairly bright ceiling mounted PJ, along with your reasonable sized screen, I would recommend the CineWhite screen material. I also urge you to control the ambient...
I know of no such screen. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I don't believe any such screen exists. If it did, it would probably sell like hot cakes and would have it's own dedicated forum here! The closest similar idea I have heard about is used in some of the latest LCD TV displays. These displays use a large number of LED backlights and have control circuitry that dims the LEDs associated with darker parts of the image to produce darker blacks.
We need more information before we can help. Will the walls and ceiling be standard off-white, or do you plan to paint them a dark color? Will your projector be ceiling mounted, or shelf mounted, or would either be OK? Would you be open to having a light-blocking curtain that you could pull across the opening to your dining/kitchen area during movies?
zoomsk- Welcome to the forum. First, let me say that, as usual, I agree with Ron Jones. Go with a unity-gain matte white screen. It will not hot-spot, and it will provide the wide viewing angle you need. I would go with a 100" screen to avoid having to operate at the absolute limit of the PJ's throw range. Since you have dark walls and ceiling, a gray screen will accomplish nothing more or less than you can accomplish with an ND filter, or by setting the PJ to eco...