or Connect

Posts by slacker711

This is just my WAG, but I think any burn-in after six hours is more likely to be related to issues with the backplane than with the materials.FWIW, I found this review.http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/hdtv/hdtv-reviews/oled-curved-tv-lg-55ea980/all-pages.htmlNote that the review was on a demo unit and they also saw some residual luminance that he was able to capture on different colors using a long exposure picture.
Amazon has more from the book that I linked above and the missing page gives a hypothesis for why white has such good color stability. Page 121. http://www.amazon.com/Luminescent-Materials-Applications-Adrian-Kitai/dp/0470058188
I thought we had come to agreement on this the last time we debated it, but then again I am often confused .Just to lay out my understanding of the issue.1) Throw up an all white picture on the LG television for 30,000 hours. You will find that the brightness has been cut in half but that the white point and color gamut will be the same. This is what the paper is talking about. The tandem OLED has very good color stability for white for any single subpixel.2) OTOH,...
The lifetime doesnt work like this for a stacked OLED. The blue is the limiting factor in the half-life for the white emissions but the light output along the entire spectrum degrades at roughly the same rate. The color stability of white is an advantage of LG's approach.
Does anybody remember a review where they performed a 24 hour torture test to check for burn-in? I checked some of the reviews but havent been able to find it, but I am nearly positive that somebody did this for either the LG or Samsung OLED.
HD Guru says that LG stated 30,000 hours for the lifetime.http://hdguru.com/hands-on-lg-55ea9800-oled-hdtv/Of course, the question is at what brightness they run the half-life tests.After six hours in THX mode, I would question whether there was a failure with the backplane more than the materials.
Nobody thinks that they are going to sell 34,000 55" 1080p OLED's a month at $4600 a unit.Prices have come down dramatically and they need to continue to do so. They also need to add 4K and multiple screen sizes. If the IGZO yields are high enough, then 4K will ultimately add little to the cost of the display. That is a minimum bar they need to hit before the M2 fab ramps to full capacity. They would be unlikely to be adding any capacity at all if they didnt think this...
Damn, I cant even keep track of my own posts on this subject anymore.There is an analyst report from JP Morgan that was covering a presentation from LG Display's president which indicates that they will have 8K of Gen 8 capacity on M2 by the end of the year. There are no direct quotes but I assume/believe that it came directly from LGD.
There is zero official data on how much volume LGD might be producing right now. There is also nothing official yet on the pace of the ramp of the M2 fab. Everything you have read with respect to those numbers are educated guesses on the part of analysts. It is a nice place to start but fundamentally the numbers dont matter right now. The question is what kind of price point LGD may be able to hit by Christmas 2015. They will have had a chance to ramp the M2 fab to...
Will you please stop trying to relate current prices to unit production? LGD has not been producing at anywhere near all of its capacity, even after you take into account yields. That may change as they launch the 4K sets but as of right now, sales are still a fraction of capacity.Nobody disputes this and LGD is likely still making constant updates to its process.The pilot fab cuts the Gen 8 substrates in half because their equipment (cant remember whether it was IGZO...