or Connect

Posts by slacker711

I am not sure why you would ignore the bill of materials when looking at the economics of the two technologies. The various parts that make up the respective technologies matter. A printable OLED would be simpler to manufacture and it would also have fewer parts. So yes, the fact that a RGB OLED would eliminate the need for a backlight, liquid crystal layer, polarizer, and color filter would all contribute to making a printable OLED cheaper than a LCD.Offsetting that to...
I look forward to the review comparisons between these high dynamic range televisions/FALD LCD's and the 4K OLED's. The first gen OLED's were generally considered to have the best picture quality available on the market and it will be interesting to see if LG can retain that crown. It seems as if it has yet to be decided whether the Vizio Reference series will be released but the Sony 950B's should definitely be available in the 2nd half.
Samsung is maxing out the brightness on a full white screen to limit power consumption.Displaymate has some more nuanced numbers. Using auto-brightness, the S4 maxes out at 475 nits vs. the 556 nits of the iPhone 5.http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htmOLED's wont match the Dolby numbers, but if consumers demand higher brightness, the technology is capable of delivering better numbers.
I think you are splitting hairs here. HDGuru reported what they were told as is the case with most reports that arent directly in a press release.I have looked for reports with statements directly from Sony or its reps but have yet to find anything. If it is QD, they seem to be hiding that fact. No idea why.
So why has Sony dropped all reference to QD in their 2014 televisions? HDGuru reports that it isnt in their lineup. I would have expected that QD would have spread into more of their high-end lineup this year.While I have my doubts on whether QD will compete with printable OLED's, I am surprised at the lack of progress in 2014.Longer term, I expect that they'll need to solve the issues with Cadmium.
How much are those increased brightness LCD's going to cost? or the 4K LCD's covering the rec 2020 color space? or local dimming? LCD's have managed to create a number of innovative ways to make up for their shortcomings but they all involve adding another layer of cost. I believe that vapour deposition based OLED's can compete on price in the high-end. If you switch to printable, you are going to bring prices down in the mainstream television market.Lifetime will...
Does anybody know whether the new LG UltraHD OLED's are going to support the Rec 2020 color space? A quick Google search doesnt pick up any info either way.
A printable OLED with good yields means we can start projecting the end of LCD's.
LG announced a 2nd generation 1080p set at CES. It is supposed to be a streamlined set with fewer components and lower power consumption.I cant guarantee that they'll launch it but I'm also not sure why their plans would have changed in the last month. I hope you are right though about LG's primary problems being with vapor deposition because I think that the quick move to 4K is likely going to be OLED's biggest obstacle.
CNET says that the current version of LG's 55" OLED will be on sale through mid-year. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6482_7-57618638/lg-slashes-curved-oled-tv-price-in-half/