or Connect

Posts by Yakatak

My informal survey for the Panasonic - OPPO combination heavily favors a 480P output to the OPPO, with ~20% favoring 1080i. Can't comment on the Toshiba, but the OPPO was a definite improvement over my Panny DVD recorder.
Quote: Originally Posted by Yakatak [quote=chiguy67] My question is: Can I get 5.1 surround sound when watching tv thru digital out to my A/V receiver's digital in? QUOTE] Apparently not. For 5.1 you'd need a set-top box feeding your receiver. Yak - Even though my direct cable feed is working well with NTSC/QAM tuner providing good HD picture?
Pannnys have macroblocking issues with the 981HD - Thats why most go with the 970. Check out the OPPO threads on the DVD (non-HD) Forum.
[quote=chiguy67] My question is: Can I get 5.1 surround sound when watching tv thru digital out to my A/V receiver's digital in? QUOTE] TV - yes
The "consensus" says 970HD (See previous post) The "consensus" also says to let the OPPO do the de-interlacing and the panel do the scaling.
Panasonic (and some other) plasmas have macroblocking problems with the Faroudja chipped 971 and 981. I have a 970 and recommend it highly. That said, some have had success with the 971 by doing some very detailed internal calibrating. Checkout the OPPO threads on the Non-HD DVD forum.
I have to sit 12' from my 50 incher and it's a bit too far to see all the available detail. I end up sitting on the coffee table for really good stuff. My next one will be 58+.
[quote=Ungermann]I've got a Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma TV and an OPPO 970 player,
I have an OPPO 970HD and a PX600U. The collected wisdom of the OPPO 970HD forum is to let the OPPO do the de-interlacing and the Panny do the upconverting. With the OPPO output at 480P via HDMI, I am a very happy camper.
[quote=hholtmann] QUESTIONS: 1. Will this new firmware result in my tweaked STANDARD settings to produce DIFFERENT color/contrast/brightness values. does this mean the articles values are not longer valid for the same room lighting conditions? Its hard for me to tell, but i get the impression that everything is darker... and i verified the DARK vs LITE mode.. i always use DARK since i generally use my plasma in low lighting. Or maybe this is just in my...