or Connect

Posts by johnfull

TV had another unwanted reboot yesterday. The first in a while. Still no word from Sharp about a replacement...
...or not. I called March 31st to see if they had an estimated date. They did not. They had to wait for a shipment to their warehouse. I asked if they still sold TVs directly, since they have a warehouse and they do not. No explanation of what shipment or what warehouse. Meantime, the TV power cycled once in a while and has settled down since 3/23. They had originally given me the option of getting the set from them directly or else going through BestBuy, who had sold...
Sharp is sending a brand new TV of the same model as soon as they locate one. Yaay!
I moved mine back to the STD position in the middle. I would advise against turning up the 3D setting since it might interfere with the effect. It already has a 'brightness boost'. When this all settles out, I might try a different scheme with the OPC control. I might calibrate the contrast for the very lowest setting of the OPC rather than the midpoint and then allow it twice as much range to compensate for daylight above that setting. It might be tricky to get it...
You're wise, Clary. The extra work that the LEDs do at +8, 12, or 16 just makes everything look more vivid. I'm surprised that the overall balance of the picture stays the same. It's a credit to Sharp engineers that backlight changes and OPC room lighting changes are so well-controlled. Running +8 in an extremely bright room looks like -4 in dim light...
Hey, because I am getting rid of the TV one way or another, I thought I would throw caution to the wind and see what maximum backlight would do to my settings. To my surprise, everything stayed the same! It rendered everything with the same level of detail, but with more vividness. Really nice to know that! The black level is washed out just a little bit, but it stays evenly illuminated in a dark room. The OPC keeps it under control at the settings I published. I...
I called Aquos Advantage and they were very nice in offering to find a new TV of similar quality. I told them that I would be willing to pay an adjustment for a better model -- I don't want to get something inferior. I said that I absolutely didn't want another refurbished model delivered -- that I would worry about its pedigree and past as long as I owned it. I'll find out what they will offer in a few days -- I told them no hurry, since the current one is good 99.99%...
So, I had everything set to test the new set -- blinds closed up tight and a dark room to see the black level. I had them plug it in right out of the box without touching my TV. It wouldn't come on! The chevron flashed very bright white 4 or 5 times, paused and repeated over and over. Hitting the power button or the remote power button made it switch to the normal, dimmer white steady chevron, but nothing came on and it would revert back to the bright flashing pattern. ...
Hey, Greeno. I will be interested to see what they show up with. My current model has very good black uniformity and I know it is the luck of the draw. I've only had one power cycling incident since they swapped out the power supply and that was the next day -- it always seems to happen after an adjustment of some kind. If the one they bring is deficient in any way, I will reject it on the spot. I plan to darken the room and just plug in the new one with no inputs to...