or Connect

Posts by johnfull

A replacement is on its way from south Texas. It will arrive in my area on the 10th and they will set up an appt to install it. I will ask for it to be plugged in and turned on without a signal so I can see the black level on the screen. That will be a deal breaker if it is cloudy or has flashlighting. My current one is good and the power cycling has only happened once since the service guy was last here -- and just a day after that. If the next week doesn't have...
They are offering a factory refurbished of the same model that I can refuse when delivered if it doesn't measure up. I will have to pull the blinds to see if it has clouding or flashlighting, which my current one doesn't. They will have to find one, meantime. I should just refuse the refurb one now and save them the trip. Nah!..
In hindsight, I'm sure they wish they had. It's odd that the onboard diagnostics didn't pick up something. My opinion is that there is an LED that is drawing too much current. The technicians are not allowed to go into the light panel for any reason. He did everything he could outside that panel, so the next step is total replacement. Not knowing if the problem will ever go away or get worse makes it hard to decide what to expect from them. A refurbished model just like...
Oops! TV did the EXACT same trick again on Thursday. Sound cut, picture went black, chevron light blinked off then on and re-started the TV. I called Aquos Advantage early Friday morning and they said they had to kick it around for a few days before getting back to me with a solution. I hope I don't have to give up the TV for something inferior -- I would rather keep this one with its occasional hiccup. If only the problem were worse...
Got it cleaned up, good as new, with a damp cloth. I will audition my 3D settings soon and post them, unless they need tinkering.
Servicing is complete, after 4 visits. It seems to be fine. Smugdes on the frame and the edges of the screen from so much lifting for service, though. Anyone have a good way to safely clean these beasts? From what I've read, the semi-matte finish is particularly prone to streaking from cleaners. It's not noticeable except in strong daylight with the thing switched off. Still...
I nudged my settings a bit more to make the brightest highlights more neutral -- they were tending a bit pink: I will adjust the settings above and on the original page. Service guy is coming on theh 14th to install a new power supply under warranty. Hopefully, I can get back to enjoying the set for many more years thereafter...
Got my WiFi back -- turns out that it was a modem/router issue. I called the repair company, who referred me to Sharp, who referred me to my ISP. The old connection was not robust, so we switched to a different method of encryption and it works like a charm. I still won't use it, but it can at least update again. The gal at Sharp was skeptical that the lack of connectivity had anything to do with the power cycling problem. The power supply is on order as one last...
TV is still doing exactly what it did before. It shuts off momentarily, (as if searching for an update is my guess), and then comes back on. They are coming next Wednesday to try again. I have no idea what can be done that hasn't been done, but that's why they will do it and not me!
I've updated the 2D values with some that look better -- still great fleshtones, but with more accurate blues and cyans and better highlights. I edited them in on the beginning of this thread and erased the old. I had to re-set after a repair and thought I would start from scratch. I will update the 3D when I get the time...