or Connect

Posts by sourcery

It's been a month since my light engine was replaced. No sign of any recurrence of the problem so far. I have a new theory regarding a possible cause of the halo/"blooming" problem: The problem was first reported early this year. I have seen no new reports since early Spring. That makes me wonder whether seasonal weather conditions might be a factor.
To output 1080p, most Blu-ray players, including the Panasonic, convert the 1080p24 source to 1080i60 internally (using the telecine algorithm,) then convert the 1080i60 signal to 1080p60 (using the inverse telecine algorithm) and send that to the TV. If a 24 fps signal is sent to any Mitsubishi TV other than an x833 (which isn't available yet,) it must internally do a frame-rate conversion from 24 fps to 60 fps. According to those who have run technical tests on this...
My experience exactly. The tech support person on the phone had me try a number of things, none of which worked. They sent me a letter with instructions for shipping the unit to their repair center, including an RMA #. Shipping is free if you use UPS. I shipped the unit to them early last week. I have no idea how long items will wait in the queue to be repaired, or how long it might take to fix this particular problem once they actually start work on it. But the...
Film mode deals with a slightly different issue: It converts Xi30 (e.g, 480i30, 1080i30) to 1080p60, in cases where the video processor is able to tell that the Xi30 signal originated from a 24p source. When 24p is converted to Xi30, the converter is supposed to set the cadence flags so that a subsequent processor can tell that the original content was 24p. The 24p to Xi30 conversion is called "telecine." The Xi30 to Xp60 conversion (when the telecine cadence flags are...
All Mitsubishi TV's released in 2006 (which are formally referred to as the 2007 models--just like cars) will accept a 24fps signal. However, they do not natively display 24fps. Instead, they do a frame rate conversion from 24fps to 60fps. This is also true of all the models released in 2007, with the exception of the Diamond series (xx833 models,) which operate internally at 120fps, and so will internally convert 24fps to 120fps. Not only is it mathematically much...
Of the settings you as a non-professional have any hope of adjusting correctly, brightness and contrast are the two most likely to need tweaking based on the idiosyncratic characteristics of your particular set, viewing environment, perferences and signal sources. When I had my light engine replaced 10 days ago, I had to raise the brightness and lower the contrast. The moral of that story should be obvious. If you find the picture too dark, raise the brightness enough...
Didn't work in my case. The machine shuts down all right. But the door still won't open, and when the machine is turned back on, it attempts to do the update again, with the same result. The door cannot be opened--not before, during or after a shutdown or startup.
I had the exact same experience. I called Panasonic. I'm still waiting for the RMA authorization and UPS shipment label to arrive in the mail from Panasonic. I'm guessing it will arrive tomorrow.
Official 2007 Mitsubishi WD-xx73X/WD-xx831 Settings & Tweaks Thread
My Mark 1.0 eyeballs. I've been doing it that way since the 1960's--and have always been more concerned with getting it just right than anyone else among my family and friends. For me, setting optimal brightness/contrast is relatively easy--especially compared to getting the gray scale and color temperature correct. To do that at all well requires rather expensive professional equipment I don't have.