or Connect

Posts by afw7962

I have two sets of these speakers and found their sound to be the first speakers in my possession to render audio with some semblance of detail. Is something wrong with my listening preferences? I never really blared these babies to experience the alledged "raspy" top end. What I want to know is if the sound of these speakers is a legitimate trend in lower budget pc speaker design or not. I was not impressed with any other pc speaker I have found at computer stores besides...
As sad as the virtual non-adoption of HD Radio may be, in its sacrifice, amazingly great strides in receiver design have prevailed. The signal processing standard,compelled receiver designers to employ extremely tight/ selective IF pass-bands for their HD capable receiver offerings.. Everything about FM reception benefited as a result. “Great FM reception” had its first shot in the arm since the advent of aggressive front ends in the “Super Tuners” of the late 70's. It...
700 WLW Cincinnati, is the only AM HD signal on AM probably statewide. I can see it flashing trying to lock at night. I can get their hissy groundwave during daytime and they are nearly 200 miles away. That's it! One AM HD entity that's a 4 hour drive from here!.... Oh well.....
I don't know if I have a clip of their HD audio I might also not sure if it was miked via flip video audio or a direct recording from my tuner ( Accurian). Some might argue that CKLW was the most popular back then for their Drake Chenault format. WWMK 1260 was hard to get in stereo HD I faired better in the car with my home brew one transistor AM/FM dual band preamp I made myself that helped AM HD without hurting FM HD, but don't drive by a TV tower!!! yikes!...
I'm in Akron and I am sorry to report that the Northeast Ohio market sports absolutely NOTHING in the way of AM HD. Looks like everything got yanked including 1260 WWMK which was the only stereo HD outlet with artist/title running as well on AM HD. WTAM gave up on it and their pre-existing highly compressed audio is very fatiguing to hear. Prior to October of 2006 (when I bought my Sony for the expressed purpose of pulling in WTAM 1100 in HD) I had to tune all the way...
It's been about been a good 6 and a half years or so since I unpacked my Sony XDR-F1HD which I first used at a place of work to decipher my local AM News Talker (WTAM 1100) that had decided to go HD Back in October of 2006. Good thing because AM was difficult to get around a gigantic wave solder machine that had a tendency to be very RF Hostile. I made a micro power FM translator so I could recover the decoded audio on FM. The Sony has never failed to give me excellent...
I don't think that you will have to be concerned with "quieter HD sub channels" becoming a trend.. It does cut against the grain of maximized audio that the PD's generally crave. This remains a technical solution for the better presentation of sub-channel audio without the typical level of "perceived" artifacting that often plagues it. One of the best sounding non-classical stations in my market (Akron/Cleveland Ohio) is 98.5 WNCX. They run their HD-2 channel in MONO and...
I gave this just a little thought insofar as, it took nearly9-11 years for FM Stereo in cars to be featured as a good "option draw" for the then AMC line of (pardon me) "fugly" cars back in the early 1970's. Of course Cadillac was out with that option super early in the mid 60's with hidden speakers in the door side armrests. So from FCC approval back in 1961 until FM Stereo radios became great option upgrades, I ask you this, warts aside for signal handling issues, hasn't...
Seven years to the day since JVC released their first single DIN entry head unit and i still have mine going strong. I'm sure that many improvements have emerged. My original works fine in the house as a backup unit/tuner while the Walmart available model with the slightly boosted HD sensitivity has worked in my vehicles for as long as I have needed them to. Anybody here kept theirs in the fold ( I mean if traded for something different, still being used by family members??
I just want to add my two cents based upon what I hear here in the Akron/Cleveland market. A case study is 89.7 WKSU Kent Ohio. They run 4 HD channels including their primary. Their main channel is an NPR/Classical mix whereby they essential pick up the network show feeds, until the need for Classical music programing prevails. HD-2 is "Folk Alley" a typical reasonable quality feed of Folk Music. HD-3 is a Classical Music channel that never gets the NPR feed...