or Connect

Posts by image1

I strongly suggest the Boston Micro130x's, same tweeters, same Boston sound and on sale at Boston for $175 off MSRP ($75 each) so that hit's your $300 right on the nose. As for the receiver upgrade, I suggest getting a Onkyo 805 (that's right an 805 NOT an 806). While the 806 has Audyssey Dynamic EQ, it dosen't have Multieq "XT", it only has 6 Audyssey calibration points compared to 8 on the 805, it uses only two compared to three DSP chips, it's remote is stripped down,...
Does anyone with a Horizon Series MCS130/100 5.1-Channel Surround Speaker System have suggestions for front speaker stands? I'm upgrading my Mom's system with a MCS130 setup and Onkyo TX-SR576. Now all I need to do is find some stands. I'm considering OmniMount ELO's or Gemini 1's. Anyone have these? Comments?
I do not believe so. I doubt that if the internal amp/crossover network is not receiving a signal AND powered it would de-couple the bass driver. Remember that the main upside to powering the bass driver is that ALL your receiver/amp power is going to the tweeter/midrange with out all the extra xover/signal knock-down introducing "noise" AND your running bi-amped. Calling the 960's base driver a "powered sub" is a bit misleading since it does not go remotely low enough to...
FWIW - I used to run VR960's and boxed them up a few months back and replaced R,L,SR,SL with Micro130x's. I still use a VR12 center and Miller & Kreisel MX125 sub. Since the tweeter and midrange are the same drivers in both the VR960's and Micro130X's the following might help you out. I run a Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver and Audyssey tells me that my in-room response for the Micro130X's is such that I should be crossing at 70Hz. I also cross my VR12 at 70Hz (even though it's...
I picked up a set from Crutchfield for an unbelievable price ( < $400 shipped) for my Mother who is redoing the living room and wants to get rid of the her current Klipsch towers and big av rack. I tested them for a few weeks to make sure they were working and was afraid my wife was going to make me sell our current gear and keep the 130's for ourselves. I had the 130's connected to an Onkyo 805 using a PS3, Sony 1080i up-convert DVD and Charter HD cable as 5.1...
I'm not using the included wire but, looking at it I doubt you'll hear any difference using heavier speaker wire (I'm not a a believer the magical poperties of ultra-expensive speaker wire). The sub cable is a different story, I'm not sure what the spec is on the included cable but, I'm running a Monoprice High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm cable. Also, for convenience I terminate my speaker wire with monoprice Banana Plugs. If you want...
I picked up a Boston Horizon MCS 130 package - I figured I'd upgrade my Mom's system since it has a much higher MAF (MAF instead of WAF). Of course I set-up the system to test it out - I'll get to that later. As for stands I would suggest looking at the OmniMount Cosmic 31, They are a steal at http://www.*******.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=29742 . Get them and fill them with either sand or lead shot - this will make them much more stable. Using these will place the MCS 130...
This is only my opinion but, I like the sound of the "older" Micro1x0X speakers much more than any of the newer models (CR's included). This may be because I've been running VR960's, a VR12 (I can't imagine a better center for the price I paid) and sadly a pair of A60 series II's as surrounds. The Micro1x0X speakers all run the VR Tweeter w/ AMD which IMHO blows kortec out of the water. Recently I upgraded to an Onkyo 805 and purchased four Micro130x's for use as side and...
I thought about that but, quickly dissmissed it since my "local" Onkyo Authorized Service Center has replaced parts in my Onkyo Integra TX-DS838 in the past. Granted, that was many years ago and Onkyo's policies about what a "local" VS "regional" service center can do may well have changed. If there is a need to replace hardware to upgrade to 1.08 it would be nice for someone at Onkyo to tell us that so we would know for sure either way.
I'm looking for some help on surrounds/surround backs. I've currently have a 7.1 setup as follows: VR960's VR12 A60 series II's (the first speakers I ever bought) as surrounds Bose model 21's as surround backs M&K MX125 sub With an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. I'd like to replace the A60's and Bose model 21's with something that will timber match the Lynnfield VR models. I “think” the Bravo II would be the best match but I can't afford 4 or them at the moment....