or Connect

Posts by bluechunks

Yes. You may also wish to consider a dedicated media player (example: Dune) that uses a chipset commonly used in Blu Ray players for perfect playback of Blu Ray rips. Note: if you don't need 3D you can also use a very inexpensive HTPC running OpenELEC which is a lightweight Linux distribution that only exists to run XBMC.
1) There's no such thing as overkill, particually here on AVS 2) Sounds like a great combo that uses the strengths of each box 3) If you have a server or computer with Plex installed you can also use that to stream MKVs to the Roku as long as you are OK with transcoding
Before you return the Roku.... http://www.techhive.com/article/2051670/netflix-to-stop-forcing-you-to-watch-more-tv.html There are absolutely no guarantees what will happen in the future but I have noticed the Post-Play on my Roku 3 but not my AppleTV.
Assuming that you don't want local network streaming or internet streaming, I would suspect that the Micca Speck would fit the bill (I don't own one, but it looks intriguing for the price.)
+1FWIW, I'm thrilled with my Intel NUC (Celeron 847) running OpenELEC (XBMC) and streaming from my NAS. It is butter-smooth on a wired gigabit network and works so much better than the other players I have tried. (Hint: use NFS instead of DLNA for streaming.) One can assemble a NUC for less than $250 with 2GB RAM, 24GB mSATA drive, and a MCE USB IR receiver. OpenELEC is free.From there, the sky is the limit with HTPC's but even an entry-level PC running OpenELEC...
It's pretty simple, unfortunately.OpenELEC has not (yet) caught up with the latest greatest hardware of the Haswell NUCs so there are numerous "issues," including some with the Intel supplied Linux drivers. These will be fixed in time, but that does nothing for any of us in the interim. The developers are waiting for Intel for some fixes while working on others with XBMC and Linux.You are ahead of me as I have the i3 Haswell NUC and I can't even get OpenELEC to install...
If you want Amazon Prime forget the AppleTV. FWIW, I have both the Sony BDP-S5100 and the Roku 3. IMHO, Roku advantage: user interface (slightly cleaner, faster, smoother, etc.) BDP Advantage: includes disc player In casual viewing, I can't tell the difference in video quality between the two using wired connections (60Mbps cable internet) . YMMV.
Gigabit equipment is backward compatible so use a gigabit switch but ensure your switch supports "flow control." I know my GS105E does (not sure if that's the same as a GS105) and it helps the backward capability when streaming from a gigabit device (like your computer) to a device that does not. FWIW, even "regular" 100Mbps is plenty fast for streaming 1080p video with HD Audio,
I have DSM on my Synology NAS and use FreeNAS on my home-built NAS. DSM on anything other than Synology hardware is indeed a "hack" and thus not necessarily something that will ever have updates or "support" or further development without the assistance of those hobbyists that shared the software. That said, IMHO, DSM is initially more user friendly while FreeNAS is rock solid and extremely powerful but with a steeper learning curve. I'm glad that I started with...
I think the better question is: which of the major choices don't?(Hint: virtually all current mid-range and above dedicated media players use chipsets that were designed for use in Blu Ray players where 23.976 is a given.)The real issue for many of us, IMHO, is the exact combination of video/audio codecs supported (especially HD audio bit streaming or internal LPCM conversion of HD audio) with that 1080p/24 video.