or Connect

Posts by bwaslo

If I follow amirm correctly, he is saying that we don't have a measurement that will reliably be able to always determine which of two setups has the better imaging. Not that we can't see a difference between setups that have differences in imaging. (At least I hope that's not he means. If it is, I can assure that technologically finding differences in two different setups is very easy.) A problem with the whole concept of preference, though, is that people won't...
It is most definitely a ground loop. You have AC power current trying to climb down signal lines. As said above, isolation transformer. Here's an example: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-875
I don't know for certain, but it sure looks like a Panasonic capsule. I wouldn't count on anything over 125
The signal handling of the electret condensers usually isn't all that high. A Panasonic WM60 type will usually go nonlinear (around 3% THD) at about 125dB SPL. The WM61 maybe 10dB below that. If modified by the Linkwitz method (cut the ground trace, operate as a source follower), their sensitivity drops by about 12 dB and signal handling goes up about the same amount. If you're measuring in the room, no problem. But if you're developing speakers you don't usually...
Hi MLKstudios, This might not be any explanation of the difference you hear, but I think it would be very worth checking out: Some people make a big deal about matching levels and the topic is taken as an old saw by a lot of other people, which they then dismiss. But unless you've tried it (and yes, in a blind test), you probably can't appreciate what a huge difference even very, very slight changes in playback level can make. Two playbacks of the same music can seem...
Given the title of this thread, it seems unlikely anyone looking for a professional take on stereo bass or room modes would stumble into it. Anyone thought of starting a new thread with a relevant title?
From what I understand, you lose a lot of room gain, basically all of it. The array on the back wall isn't just out of phase, but is also electrically delayed to match the time it takes the front wave to reach the back wall. The idea being that when the wave reaches the back, it gets cancelled by the back array so that nothing should bounce back again. The reflections on side walls are meant to be handled as per image theory, i.e., if the drivers at front are spaced the...
are these pre-decimal point zeroes or post-decimal point zeros? Wouldn't want to get the wrong kind.
I may wait for your box to come out then. Is the plan for it to include parametric EQ as well? The sub bass decorrelation trick for dealing with the room interface issue would make for an interesting paper, have you published anything on it? Seems ironic to be discussing something like this (a proposed solution for a known real and dramatic problem that probably anyone can hear) under a topic heading like this!
Earl, It looks like they currently have several devices that include both reverb and delay (a "virtualizer" and a "minifex", categorized under "digital effects processors"). There was a (now discontinued) unit called "Ve-Verb" that had mainly reverb plus some other functions, and some other discontinued "virtualizer" or "effect" devices that also did reverb. It looks like about any of these might do what you were suggesting, though. Ebay lists several for quite little...