or Connect

Posts by alluringreality

Personally I suspect it's primarily a marketing number. At the brightest setting I wouldn't expect the TV to actually be able to output a calibrated white with the stated luminance. Typically a calibrated white is going to be dimmer than the absolute maximum light output, but even a fraction of the stated number is reasonable for most situations. From a marketing standpoint I figure they would prefer to state a number more in line with the maximum, considering how...
I'm not familiar with the CoreAVC settings, but as noted by sawfish the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) setting for Limited (16-235) would be expected to output video black with RGB or luma values of 16 as indicated on the image. I think the CCC dynamic range setting shown only affects video levels, and I believe the computer will still typically use 0 for black in non-video applications. For most computer use it makes sense to have black at the same value regardless if you...
The video patterns are based on images, which can be downloaded from:http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/3390#post_22305141Personally I have setup my computer incorrectly at times to use these images for some tasks, but generally I agree that for most people the images are of limited use. For example typical 8-bit video uses 16 for black and 235 for white, which is how the images are setup, but typically images use 0 and 255 to represent...
Current LCD-based TVs do not meet Rec 2020 specifications, especially the defined color space ("System colorimetry"). For example the Vizio Reference series claims to be able to cover about 80% of the Rec 2020 color space. If consumer content was mastered as Rec 2020, then current TVs would likely under-saturate colors, since the TVs cannot reproduce the color space. It's possible that maybe the content could be scaled to meet available color space, but really it's all...
According to the current information, all 2014 models from the W950B and up are Triluminos.
I agree that I cannot find information to support the idea of manufacturers generally programming scanning backlights to operate in line with the theory stated by fafrd.Edit:The following link indicates a measured difference of roughly 35% to 50% depending on the backlight setting for a Samsung where the CMR was stated as twice the refresh, so that example would appear to be roughly similar to the theory. Maybe "barely a concern" from the listed article might have been...
I'm not surprised if that turns out to be the XBR-65X950B price, considering last year's top 65" was introduced only $1000 cheaper. I would prefer to limit my budget to about $4k for a 65", so even at the lowest retail price it will still be more than I would care to spend. Based on the listed prices, the other XBR 65" models may eventually have lower actual retail prices than the 2013 models after the usual Sony price drops. One thing that looks rather odd from that site...
Personally I question if these TVs will be sold in 2014, but one of the videos from Vizio indicates the second half of the year.
Assuming Vizio actually sells the 65" Reference model sometime in 2014, I'm not sure how this sort of thinking might be consistent with the TV line's current marketing. While calling it "a new standard" could be interpreted various ways, I have to agree with Rogo that if you want to position your product as "something better", then it probably means pricing at least somewhere in the ballpark of the big boys, assuming they actually want people to take the marketing...
The few youtube videos on this TV show that the display is at least somewhat reflective, but I haven't read of anyone commenting on how it directly compares to the F8000. Personally I think the F9000, F8000, and the X900A are too reflective on dark images for how I would want to use the TV, but Best Buy told me the closest X850A they have on display is hours away in Springfield MO. The computer monitor comparisons suggest the X850A doesn't have the glass from the X900A and...