or Connect

Posts by alluringreality

I'll suggest some LCDs or projectors offer settings to use fixed or variable lighting. Depending on the selected setting, they may operate more in line with either category 1 or 2.I agree there are probably better ways to look at similar information, and error forumlas are based around Lab. Since I don't have a plasma to measure myself, the information from Chad B and Zoyd seems the best available documentation. Because Chad B’s APL and AVS L APL measurements have a...
The original post goes over my reasoning for the statement, start at "By this point I don’t know if anyone is still following along..."My comments primarily focus on patterns where what you see on screen is what you measure, and I have not focused on typical window patterns in my comments. Window patterns primarily contain two video levels, where usually there is one level in the center for measurements and black for the surround. Generally windows vary average picture...
To make what I wrote more accessible, I probably should have addressed the question - what is display gamma? I'll give a summary of grayscale gamma from my perspective for someone that has a video source (ex. Blu-ray player) and intends to calibrate a display, and for more information maybe take a look at the FAQ from Charles Poynton or the gamma correction wiki.Essentially gamma simply defines how bright one displayed video level should be in relation to other video...
For some reason I think Multi-AVCHD has a couple AVCHD output options, and maybe it needs the AVCHD-strict option. Google returns the following:http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1288031#post1288031
vega509 is using Multi-AVCHD, which is the same program I used for the AVCHD compatibility. The program appears to have only been updated once, so I doubt much has changed. Assuming you can play the AVS HD 709 AVCHD version on the player, I would guess there could be one of two issues. Some players seem to play or not play AVCHD depending if the BDMV/AUXDATA folder is included, and I think there are a couple options for how Multi-AVCHD outputs AVCHD. Since Blu-ray includes...
The older versions generally worked with mounted .iso files the times I tried. When they released Version 5 it wouldn't play any of the files here, and it took them some time to fix it. The HDMV is straight Adobe authoring, so maybe they will eventually fix the problem playing mounted .iso files.
I installed the trial on Windows 8. I cannot get the mounted HDMV or AVCHD to play. I don't know, maybe they have an issue with playing mounted image files on the current version, because I tried a different .iso and it didn't work either. The program was able to play the HDMV from BD-RE and the AVCHD from a DVD disc.
Calibration theory suggests grayscale gamma is a primary consideration in trying to make various displays look similar using measurements. One complication when relating theory to actual practice are the numerous types of displays, which each have a number of display settings. The various available displays and settings often tend to provide different gamma measurements, depending on the selected measurement pattern. The main question I’ve had for years - does a gamma...
I haven't followed the HCFR fork after Version 2.1, but on the old version you can look at the measurement information in terms of RGB to find where a display might clip near white. On the right side of the HCFR Measures screen there is a "Display" setting that has pickboxes, which has choices like xyY or RGB. The measures screen also has a "Selected color" area that also displays R, G, and B numbers. There are also the "Target" bars that show how red, green, and blue...
I can't make any sense of the procedure regardless if it's 50% or 100% gray. It would make a lot more sense from a mathematical standpoint if "50% white" meant 100% gray, but I don't know what 50% would represent in that case. All I really know is that Charles Poynton considers it unacceptable to cross the meanings of luma and luminance.