or Connect

Posts by alluringreality

I think the procedure says to use a 50% gray window for matching the ramp measurement, so I'm guessing you're looking at a window over 10% area.
I don't have a plasma to test, but looking at the ramp luminance that Zoyd posted I have to figure the procedure would result in a window that's considerably larger than 2% area on his display. Assuming a 2% window is on a black background, the math just doesn't seem to work for the ramp measure from Zoyd's post. On the other hand larger windows is where you tend to get into problems with variation on plasma. The ramp measurement from Zoyd is rather high, since a 50% gray...
If the pattern is square, I'm thinking that's less than 2% area on 16:9.
From a couple quick checks I still think applying a curve to an image is the same as a power function, so there would seem to be variation beyond a simple difference in display gamma. The following were my estimates for 2.2 gamma:AVS L APL - 25% average luminanceChad B's APL - 13% average luminanceAVS S APL - 5% average luminance
If you're using a plasma it may complicate the data compared to a more ideal display, but that probably doesn't matter for a basic look at things. You're also only measuring a portion of the screen, which again may or may not matter. I've never seen either video, but generally I would have guessed a little higher (between 10%-15%) based on the video levels that I've done a quick gamma adjustment and average on. Of course with the DVE website stating only 15% for APL then...
What Spears and Munsil appears to be calling "equal energy patterns" would appear to be different than the industry definition for APL. The way I read it, Spears and Munsil has probably assumed a theoretical display gamma and intends to keep average light output constant at a theoretical display. The AVS HD 709 patterns marked "APL" both hold average video level (APL) constant and they also hold a constant average light output at the display during the measurement run. As...
I'm not aware of Sony ever making plasmas, so I'll guess you're probably not talking about what most people would term ABL. Sony has made displays with things like a dynamic backlight or an adjusting iris, and since you mention full-screen (fields) I'll figure that's the sort of thing you're probably talking about. If you're looking at a different display technology, the expected measurement variations are probably different from plasma. For example I think at some point...
If you're using the AVS HD 709 patterns, the APL Clipping pattern (Basic Settings - Chapter 2) is intended to be comparable to commercial patterns when you can barely see 19 flash from your typical viewing location with usual room lighting.Set the backlight to whatever setting you want to use for typical viewing.Both the backlight control and the black-level (brightness) control can affect where you will be able to see flashing on the APL Clipping pattern. There are...
The Xbox 360 only provides playback for the MP4 video files. The Xbox 360 doesn't support Blu-ray related video playback. You can download one of the compressed MP4 versions, decompress the video files, burn the video to CD, and the video can play after the Xbox goes through an online update to support MP4 playback. The Xbox 360 can also stream video, but I'm not familiar with the process.
Misc Patterns C is authored differently, and otherwise there is little reason to suspect playback differences on the vast majority of players. My players measure the same regardless of version. The only reported anomaly I can remember for the current version was a Panasonic player that was unable to output AVCHD as 24p. On a prior version a Panasonic player was reported to measure slightly differently with the HDMV and AVCHD versions, but a cause of the measurement...