or Connect

Posts by alluringreality

Could you please explain in more detail what your graph represents?It seems like you're saying that the X-axis represents an average for all the video levels in multiple images used to measure a 10 point gamma run. If that is the case, in terms of how this relates to typical video content, the lower numbers to the left would appear to indicate darker scenes and the higher numbers to the right would seem to indicate brighter scenes. The graph would generally seem to...
Considering the number of displays that can potentially vary light output depending on the image displayed, I thought it made sense for people using pattern generators to have patterns that matched with discs, in order to more easily check that the pattern generator matched with the video player. Anyway, sounds like a good idea to me.
That's essentially the point I was making regarding window measurements. I'm trying to avoid too many generalizations based on limited information, so I'll point out that the linked measurements are specific to one single plasma display, and it's entirely possible that other plasma displays could exhibit different tendencies. Anyway, the linked measurements from Chad B appear to support his comment about gamma in the first reply.I'm not sure there's any simple clear-cut...
The gamma measurements from the PDF at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446386/abl-effects-measured-for-comparison support the idea that LCD-based displays with a fixed backlight or iris can measure somewhat differently from plasma displays. Generally LCD-based displays using a fixed backlight are expected to measure gamma with little variation, regardless of the measurement pattern, so with LCD the typical expectation is that a tiny window or a full field will return a...
By default most TVs expect a limited input and computer monitors typically expect a full range input. Since this forum is focused on video calibration, the typical recommendation is to set your video player and display to use limited or typical video levels. The following link has settings reported for the PS3 to output standard video levels.http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/3450#post_22706396
I don't know if there are currently any online companies that would do "Blu-ray Duplication" for a single disc.
Generally the answer to this question depends on your electronics. All of my video players can be set to output standard video levels, so there's basically no difference against using a pattern generator. I also use an LCD-based display with fixed lighting, so my display also doesn't vary depending on the displayed image, but other display types may vary measurement data depending on the displayed image. If you use a pattern generator it's typically a good idea to check...
It may be related to the video encode process. I think the AVCHD uses video and the HDMV uses an image for the noted pattern. The HDMV should be cleaner and come closer to matching the original:http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/3390#post_22305141
Almost all of the video is 24p. Panasonic players were sort of a question mark with a number of the AVCHD attempts. Part of the reason it made sense to stop this project was because the disc got to a point where it only made sense to make a HDMV version, but since Blu-ray burners never really took off the project would have needed to go commercial one way or another. Anyway, I suspect you would get 24p playback similar to commercial discs if you burned the HDMV to Blu-ray...
Sounds like grayscale controls. Generally grayscale is adjusted by using measurement software (ColorHCFR, CalMAN, ChromaPure) and a meter.