or Connect

Posts by mlang46

yes the 1100es unfortunately is a much better projector. As a former lens designer I cannot believe Sony managed to put a lens like that onto a consumer product. it interesting to see the different responses to 4k with some people thinking it is barely better than 1k and others like myself thinking it is a major improvement. One assumption which is wrong is that if you cannot detect the pixels than the resolution is high enough and increasing the number of pixels...
It is a 4k format but the chip size I believe is 1.4 mm so the resolution requirements on the lens are the same. the focal length of the lens is much larger but it should be good enough even using plastic elements to get the resolution at the center of the screen. I think the difference in the price between the 1100es and the 600es is the lens. The 1100es uses an all glass lens and it has a huge exit pupil and is well corrected for image distortion. Sony spared no...
My visceral experience on first viewing the Sony uhd displays was just WOW. It was a quantum leap in image quality from my perspective The reaction of other people in the store was the same. Not scientific but that was the reaction
Going from 480p to 720p was revolutionary because the image was so much crisper and realistic. 720p to 1080p was an improvement but not as much as 480 to 720. Going from 1080p with an 8 bit color depth to 2160p with a 12 bit is a major leap in image quality comparable or even greater than 480 to 720p . I do not know what will happen if you increase it to 8k. but the the images on off the Sony 65 inch and 85 inch and VPL 1100 es are so much better than anything I have...
4k is a revolutionary step up from 1080p and all you have to do to verify this is go into Best Buy or Sony and look at their UHD high resolution 65 inch screens. They are dramatically and breath taking better and you see the difference while standing 15 ft away. It is a different level of immersion When you hear people state that it is over kill to have a ultrahigh resolution format on a screen with a 55 inch diagonal they are consciously or unconsciously...
I was a lens designer for 30 years and designed both projection lenses and camera lenses and two very large telescopes. In a projection lens the major Chromatic aberration is lateral color. All the other aberations introduced by an anamoprhic system are minor (astigmatism.,spherical coma) because the Fnumber from the exit pupil to the screen is greater than 200 and the aberrations are inversly proprotional to the Fnumber to the 3rd 5th and 7th powers. Lateral color...
I own a Panamorph UH480 and have been very happy with it because I hate black bars and to my eye it does not degrade the image in anyway but it does not improve resolution either; so I was interested in seeing the new lens used with the Sony HW50 because with zonal correction, the lateral color could be eliminated and the image resolution improved. I was a lens designer for 30 years and I know from experience that lateral color is one of the few aberrations that cannot...
Code guy in general I agree with you but from an engineering point of view their are precise mathematical expressions which take into account lens quality and chip convergence. Even so when all the ray tracing is done and all the calculations have been made it is the viewing experience which matters. Every time I have seen the JVC with one exception at Cedia I come away thinking it produces the best projected image for film of any projector currently produced. When I...
I didn't know what a Darby was until you mentioned it and as i said I like the JVC but mother nature is working a against you. They Nyquist cut off frequency for a .95 inch chip is 41 lp/mm and for a .7 inch chip it is 55lp/mm Given the same quality lens for both projectors and the contrast is not going to be as good. on the JVC as it would be on a DLP. Now on top of that you add a degradation in MTF due to some misconvergence among the 3 chips and you have light scatter...
I like the JVC for dark movies but the ,95 single chip in bright scenes is just sharper.