or Connect

Posts by StanF

I think a lot of the key advantages/disadvantages have already been discussed. Honestly, there's really not much difference between them, so either one will likely work fine for you. Here's a link to Paul's site which has a set of good articles on 2012 Essentials. http://winsupersite.com/server/windows-server-0 I'm sticking with WHS2011, as I don't have a compelling need to upgrade. The 2TB backup limit is just idiotic, BTW - a good reason to go with 2012...
Completely agree - the 2TB limit is idiotic. The same limit is also there in SBS 2011 Essentials, where it makes even less sense!+1 for using Crashplan for your "server" backup. Excellent, cost-effective, unlimited backup.
This entire thread reaffirms my belief that the Silicon Dust Prime is the best solution for sharing cable card tuners... I'm sure the Ceton and other solutions can be made to work, but the Prime is so elegant in comparison... YMMV...
I had a DOA 2TB Red drive. Really disappointing, since these should be more reliable. From the reviews on Newegg, Seagate is having problems with their drives too. Not sure where the problem lies...
In my experience, the big price drop will occur right after you buy one Glad your system is coming together!
Just saw the Windows 8 Plus Pack in a Newegg ad this morning...$70 just for the plus pack. Either 70 or 100 for Windows 8 itself. So, $140 to $170 to build an HTPC with Windows Media Center...seems rather high... I think I'll keep my HTPCs on Windows 7 for as long as possible. Stan ps: I hate the new interface for desktop use as well!
I concur that I don't notice a speed difference between the 64 and 128GB SSDs. I also rarely reboot my PCs - S3 sleep mode is great. However, I generally keep my hardware for several years, so the SDD in the HTPC today might be in the kids laptop tomorrow. The small increase in price for the 128GB now gives you a lot of flexibility down the road. On another note, the Samsung 830 is one of the most power-efficient drives, so it would be best for laptops for extending...
Check all the Newegg daily deals/shell shockers and Techbargains.com. Just be patient, and you can get that price.
Certain brands of SSDs seem to be more reliable than others. Check the Newegg ratings. My personal experience:Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 rock solid, fast and reliable.Intel: ReliableOCZ: You may as well buy two of them, because you will need the 2nd one when the first one fails. (Vertex 4 drives "might" be better - the earlier ones were poor)As others have stated, you won't be disappointed with an SSD purchase. Choose a good model, preferably 128GB (generally much...
Dan, use the drives that you have. If you find problems with it later, then spend the $60 on the SSD at that time. If it works to your satisfaction, then you will have $60 to spend elsewhere. That being said, I have SSDs in all my systems now, and love them. As others have said they are perfect boot drives for an HTPC - fast, silent, and low power. And depending on which one you choose, more reliable than a mechanical hard drive. Stan