or Connect

Posts by Obsidians

No problem, glad I could help! Make sure to post pics when you're done, and PM me so that I notice!
The deeper into a cutout and the less space around the speaker, the worse it's going to sound. Specifically, it'll start sounding like the sound's coming through a tunnel, which it essentially is. Certain frequencies will be harshly emphasised, while others will be muted. It might get slightly echo-y. You'd have to set them pretty deep in there for it to sound "horrible", though. Ideally, if you could size the cutouts to exactly the speakers size, and push them right to...
LCR indicates that it can be used in all three positions: left, centre, or right. That is, it can be mounted horizontally or vertically, which isn't the case for a strictly "centre" speaker. The idea being that you can get three of the same speaker and mount them around your tv, for a consistent kind of look and matching sound.A soundbar, by contrast, would generally be doing all three positions at the same time. That is, it would actually have three inputs and three...
Came from the other "help" thread that's active at the moment, and just wanted to give a few thoughts. I think the reason that you're getting less feedback is that you've made some pretty good choices and you're constrained on what else people might suggest. The B&W 685s look quite nice, actually. I'd throw the Paradigm equivalent on-wall center in: http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/lcr/paradigm-reference/millenia-series/millenia-30 just so you have...
A soundbar would usually be a left-centre-right combination, rather than just a centre. Depending on the receiver, you should be able to set up the mains as "zone 2" and then just use that as your music output, although that might get tricky with trying to share the sub.If you do have control over the design of that whole centre column, then I'd probably be looking to do in-wall speakers there. Putting bookshelves deep in a cutout will tend to do weird things with...
I like Paradigm stuff personally, and the Monitor series would be right in that price range. Could be worth a look, good value.
That seems like it would be extremely distracting to watch tv/movies in a configuration like that. The dialogue isn't going to be anywhere near the screen, and pans are going to have a weird stereo effect. I think that, at minimum, you'd need to find room to put a centre with the tv, but you're still going to have most of your seating positions basically directly next to one of the mains. That'll be very awkward, even listening to music or in a party situation. If I were...
Heya, thought I'd chime in. Personally, I've had a lot of success with Paradigms. At your budget, you'd be looking at the Monitor range. http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-series/monitor-speakers If you've got the space for floorstanders, I'd go with that. They're going to sound better than speakers which are stuffed into cabinets, and as mentioned above, 10' is fine if you're sitting 10' away. The guidelines I've seen are usually between 55% and 100% of the...
I'm in the midst of ordering a C1 from Trutone, so far so good, I ended up getting about 15% off MSRP, which isn't too bad for my first time in there. I had been dealing with Kromer downtown, but they're not in business anymore. They've got a pretty decent storeroom and selection. Only issue is that they can be a bit busy, so you have to rope in a rep or you'll end up standing around all day. They've got quite a bit of Paradigm and Anthem stuff set up, including a couple...
If you've only got 20-inches of horizontal space for the centre, you'd be stuck with the CC-490. Have you considered going to the C1 instead? It should be around the same price as a CC-590. I've got a similar balance (WAF) system on the go, and I've been very happy with my S1+C1 (3.1) setup. In my case, my centre channel cabinet space is a bit larger, so I could have fit either a 590 or a C1, but not a C3. When I spoke with Paradigm, they said that the C1 would have better...