or Connect

Posts by irishsammy

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's have the best bass of any bookshelf I've ever heard. It's ridiculous how good and tight the low end is on those speakers considering they use a 5.25 inch midbass driver. I haven't heard the 9.2's but they have a 6.5 midbass driver and might even be better. The 9.1's are on sale at www.tsto.com for $239. They're also selling 2 of the Evo line of Wharfies which have bigger midbass drivers...both for under $300. That would be my recommendation....
How many speakers are you looking for? Just 2 I assume? If you're limited to $1K, that sort of narrows it down. If you're looking at bookshelves, I would look at the Salk CAOW1's or MBOW1's. They're in that price range and if they're anything like the SongTowers, they'll blow you away. The CAOW1's use the same midbass driver as the ST's and a Hiquphon tweeter like the ST's (The OW1 vs. OW2). I have the ST's and for music and movie/TV use, I haven't heard an equal.
For the money, you really can't beat: Monitor Audio RS6's. They've got a very small footprint and great extension at both ends of the frequency. For the size and for around $1000 for the pair, they're a phenomenal investment. Salk SongTowers. I haven't heard every speaker in the world but from what I have heard, they're by far the best tower speaker for music, movies, and anything else you can throw at them. They're on the borderline of what I would consider...
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop and I have the same problem. After some searching, I found out that Dell's dirty little secret with the HDMI jack on this computer is that it's designed to give you video but NOT audio. Even though you can have the default audio output as HDMI, it won't be output. I was upset by it but I've since gotten over it. There MAY be a hack that will get HDMI output but it's too much of a pain for me.
I have a pair of Diamond 9.1's and they're an absolute steal for $240 a pair shipped. VERY capable speaker. If the 9.0's are anything like them, $100 a pair is a phenomenal deal.
I don't know much about wireless but www.headphone.com is a great place to shop around for cans of all types. They're very informative and their prices aren't too shabby, either.
I'm a proud owner of a pair of RS6's in black. I've loved these towers from Day 1 and I've had nothing but good things to say about them all around. But I think I may have stumbled upon the perfect pairing... I recently purchased a Parasound HCA-750 stereo amp to drive my mains and I think I may have hit on something spectacular. The 750 seems to drive the RS6's to what I consider to be absolute perfection. I've driven the RS6's with a Marantz SR5001, Emotiva LPA-1,...
I recommend Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's or 9.2's. I have a pair of 9.1's and they're phenomenal from top to bottom, IMO. They're the biggest-sounding little speaker I've ever heard. They've got a running record of 4 months in my bedroom system going...the most of any speaker by about 2 months. The tweet is a fabric dome and it's very tame...definitely no sibilant problems to speak of. And I've heard that the 9.2's are even better. You can get both over at Sound...
Pearl Jam - Binaural - Of The Girl (entire CD has a phenomenal sound, IMO, but this song is a gem among gems) Primus - Tales from The Punchbowl - Over The Electric Grapevine (the louder you play it, the better it sounds) The Black Keys - Rubber Factory - When The Lights Go Out (beautifully dirty and somehow sexy blues-rock...I bet you'd hear this song at a strip club in hell...) Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E - Redefine (it's like a fist to the jaw...one of the best...
Hey mizzer. Definitely bad things going on in that setup. But no matter how bad it is, I would NOT go the sound bar route. IMO, the best 3.1 (or 3.0) setup beats the crap out of even the most high-end sound bar. If you want surround (-ish) sound, the bar is probably OK, but if you want *impactful* sound, 3 fronts is definitely the way you want to go. I have a 3.1 system right now and I get very satisfactory surround feel even using regular DD from my receiver. ...