or Connect

Posts by dougri

With those speakers and 5.1, I'd get the Anthem MRX-310. Not flagship, but no need for higher in the anthem lineup with your speakers/setup. Of the others you listed, and if you prefer more mainstream, I like the yamaha-3030, and I'd replace the Onkyo with the denon 4520ci as well.
At least for DLP, maybe nothing. TI has shown little interest in doing much of anything. At the rate at which manufacturers have been exiting the market with dropping flat panel prices, i think DLPs advantage w/ 3D has absolutely kept PJ prices down. Speculation? Sure. But no more than pondering what other things they'd have come up with.
True, but some of those models would have never been produced without 3D buyers... economies of scale are very sensitive with PJ models.
Thanks... I'll look into some HTIB systems. I don't have a real need per se... just interest in tinkering and curiosity. I'd like to use the nanoavr downstream of all channel matrixing, but prior to the anthem ARC. I'm sure I'll be happy with the ARC results, but of course, one can always ask 'what would happen if I started with something closer to the target curve?On the curiosity side, one of the arguments against separates these days is the expense involved if you...
I think a few have MHL inputs that should work (e.g. Sharp BD-AMS20U). I know its usually a receiver function, but thought I'd ask anyway. I think the older Oppos used to do this (up mixing, not necessarily pl-iix), but only to the analog outputs. Ideally, it could be accomplished with the nanoavr (maybe it can… it can do basic channel mixing, but I suspect that is a poor man's substitute for proper DSP up mixing). worst case, I could just duplicate the side surrounds...
Looking for solutions to put a minidsp nanoavr between my sources and my receiver. The nanoavr only accepts/outputs multichannel PCM over HDMI. I'd like to not lose 5.1->7.1 expansion for sources like cable and Apple TV. While I could still do that in my AVR, matrixing from EQ'd channels sounds like a bad idea. So, ideally, I'm looking for a bd player that has hdmi input and LPCM output like the oppo 103, but that also up mixes 5.1->7.1 sources from that HDMI input to...
Finally got the new subs hooked up, Win8.1 installed under bootcamp., and ARC2 installed. For those ARC users running on an intel mac, any tips or gotchas I should be aware of? Win8.1 under bootcamp on my early 2011 MBP is a little quirky, so hoping to avoid any pitfalls others may have learned the hard way.
Sorry for not being clear, you CAN turn zone 2 audio on/off independently, and can select a different audio source than main zone (turning display off for 2nd zone takes care of video of course).
I bet he's still sneaking peeks on his phone... in case he is, and money is not that big of an issue, I'd recommend looking into custom subs made to look like an end table. You get the sub you desire, she doesn't have to look at it... unless it really is a balls in the purse thing. I've got similar WAF issues, and put it straight out there... 'do you prefer a 15" ^3 sub or two that are clearly visible in the room, or a significantly more expensive sub disguised as an end...
OK... checked this out tonight and the zone2 is very limited, but still might work for you. First, zone 2 is audio only, but the unit does have dual HDMI outputs, so you can get video to zone2 from one of the two HDMI outs. Not ideal, but workable (as long as you don't want to watch a different source in zone two than in the main zone). So, zone two audio can be whatever you want it to be (as long as the surround back channels are repurposed for zone two). Now for the...