or Connect

Posts by hwjohn

Can verify that the A3000 Sony accepts 1080p over component. My 360 outputs 1080p to my A3000 and it works great.
Excellent post donb1948. You and StrawDawg have explained everything beautifully... wish I had that kind of patience and grammar
Let me preface this with the fact that it may be entirely wrong and is based on my understanding of CineMotion. As far as I know, CineMotion only deals with material that needs a pulldown. When the A3000 is fed a 24p signal, no 3:2 pulldown is necessary and CineMotion shouldn't do anything at all, even if it is on. 3:2 pulldown is only necessary when the disc contains 24p material which needs to be converted to 29.97 fps. This has always been the case until recently...
My 360, PS3, and Oppo were all very close to each other using Avia. On the 360, be sure to set the black level setting (last blade to the right) to "Extended." This tells the 360 to use 0 IRE for DVD playback instead of 7.5 IRE. If you don't do this and you calibrate with Avia (and probably any other disc), then your black level will be too low for any hi-definition playback as well as games. This is due to the fact that hi-def uses 0 IRE as the reference black level...
From what I have read and found in my own experience, Sharpness was brought about in the days of analog cable and was used to artificially sharpen the soft image that was typical in those days. I have found that SD content can still be soft, especially on analog channels, so there is still some merit to the Sharpness control, but you don't want to over do it. Going too far with it will introduce edges that are very artificial looking. Sharpness is less of an issue with...
Those settings were done using Avia, so hopefully you get close to the same thing. I think two of the three settings listed so far are very similar.I believe someone in the owners thread with a colorimeter found that Warm 2 was closest to 6500, but you may want to verify that for yourself.1 - SSE stands for Silk Screen Effect, which is a result of the screen that the image is projected onto for rear projection tv's. It is not all that bad on the A3000, but you can notice...
I'll take a stab at it, but I am by no means an expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Most of the settings you mentioned seem to be proprietary to Sony and are various algorithms to "improve" picture quality. In my personal experience, most of the bell-and-whistle type settings only help in certain special circumstances, and can often times cause problems as some have already seen in the form of flickering. That being said, here is my very basic...
I believe there is a lot of discussion on this in the A3000 Owners thread. I haven't tried it, but on the XB2 there are a lot of issues that cause it to overscan the PC input, and I believe the A3000 has the same issue. For some reason you cant just set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and have it do 1:1 pixel mapping. Check the Owners thread for a lot more info (it is spread about over several pages).
Thanks for the reply guys. I have switched cinemotion off and it looks like it did fix the problem. I have no idea why it would do that. I just turned it off for all my inputs because everything I have either puts out a HD signal or upscales if it is playing a dvd.
I do see SSE, but it is no worse than any other LCos set I have seen. My brother has an XBR2 (we both have 60") and the SSE is no worse than the XBR2 in my opinion. For me, the picture is not very acceptable with contrast at 60 (Avia doesn't exactly have an accurate way to set up Contrast as far as I can tell). From my experience, it is a tradeoff that you have with every LCoS set I have seen... it doesnt bother me that bad so I run the contrast where the picture looks...