or Connect

Posts by 5mark

No, 2.35 material is zoomed to fit the screen just like using the zoom method. Then the Lumagen shrinks (downscales) 16:9 material in both directions so the proper geometry is maintained and it fits on a 2.35:1 screen (black bars on the sides).Of course it also does what you are saying with the addition of an A-lens.
This post mentions text, but keep in mind the Darbee creates an odd artifact on some text and most subtitles (there is a photo way back in the other Darbee thread...) It links some of the letters together, but is hard to notice it you're busy reading them. It hasn't bothered me but I can see it bothering some people, especially if they watched a lot of subtitled films.
Lumagen VPs can do CIH without an A-lens and switch ARs with a single button push. There has even been a recent firmware update to make it easier to set up. The only downside is 16:9 is downscaled to fit the screen, so there is a loss of resolution and brightness compared to zooming. The Lumagen scaling is excellent, however, with very little quality loss.Another option would be to use an Oppo BD player which can do the same thing (for that source only, of course).Kind of...
Agreed that sharpness processing can only do so much before it becomes unnatural. MPC is better than traditional sharpening, but it does have an effect on edges, unlike the Darbee.The way to get a true increase in sharpness is to use better optics like in the Sony 1000. You can only do so much with the same basic technology/panels/quality of optics.That's why my hunch is the main visible difference seen with eshift2 will be processing related. The effects of MPC look to be...
Actually, the JVC's MPC processing does have sharpening. With MPC at 3 I could see occasional sharpening artifacts, but I felt it was a good compromise to bring out the most high contrast detail (which MPC also does). Since adding a Darbee I changed MPC to 2, the result being more natural edges combined with even more high contrast detail. The PQ on my RS55 has gone to another level making it easier to resist the new projector hype (still not that easy at times)
Interesting seeing the different takes on Battleship. I dialed the Darbee down from 50% to I think 35%. I felt the overprocessed high-contrast look became way overcooked set too high, especially on people's faces. I do agree that one reason to turn the Darbee down is if women's faces in particular start to show too much detail.OTOH I thought Avengers, with it's very clean look, could handle a higher than average setting. I watched it at 60% HD and never felt anything...
Hunger Games was one of the first full films I watched with the Darbee. It had a moderate amount of noise which the Darbee did enhance, and made me realize it would be tough to have a true set and forget setting. Going from 50% down to 35% HD worked well, but there was still some noise because it appeared to be in the source. Are you saying when you took the Darbee out of the chain, you saw no noise at all? That would be very surprising.
Overscan should simply be making the image larger using scaling. This will have the effect of increasing the height of your 2.35 image and cutting off the sides. If it's good quality scaling, you might find it to be an acceptable option. It would be better for the PQ if the projector had a masking/blanking/cropping setting for trimming the sides. Some projectors and most VPs can do this.
Interesting. When I turn up the MPC control on my RS55 I notice two different effects. One is a sharpening effect which is better than a typical "sharpness" control, but it still can produce mild sharpening artifacts (enhancing ringing in the source etc). The other is an increase in high contrast detail, such as in facial close ups. I remember wishing I could turn this detail enhancing effect up higher without increasing the sharpening effects. It looks possible that the...
That certainly does look official. It even has the Dark Level control which was very useful before I calibrated the gamma on my 55. All good news for you guys with an RS48 on order. I think I really should stop reading these threads, but what are the odds of that happening....