or Connect

Posts by kraiggers

I just emailed Tom Norton and Shane Buettner from Ultimate AV to see if they know anything about the clouding issue. I'll post what they say if they reply... FYI, Tom wrote this review, which I found to be quite intrumental in choosing to purchase the 46xbr2: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan.../806sonykdl46/
When you put it like that, ISF calibration sounds like a good idea. I will make one criticism, however. There are too many controls that affect brightness. Power save, backlight, and picture all interact in a fairly complicated way that I'm not sure I fully grasp. That's a pretty small nit to pick, though. Honestly, though, I have been really happy with this set in every way OTHER than the clouds. You can get excellent PQ within an hour of opening the box, thanks to...
Interesting comment, sweetp. I will go for significant blocks of time not noticing my clouds, and then, when the right content comes on-screen, it hits me like a baseball bat. Sometimes a literal bright spot, other times just a strange gray fogginess. Ugh. First, I wouldn't hold your breath on hearing something form Sony. This issue has been out in the wild long enough, that were Sony inclined to address the issue, I think they would have. Second, At least one...
Just FYI, my serial is 80267xx and my date of manufacture is September, '06. Anyone else with clouds care to post?
I'm fully aware of the deep/black issues with LCD. The reason I pulled the trigger on this set is that, in addition to really liking the design, all the reviews I've read said that it does a great job on black, in SPITE of being an LCD. Not CRT great, but pretty great none the less. That issue aside, this panel HAS been brilliant. 1080p from my mac looks .. A W E S O M E .. which is exactly what I was hoping for. It is rare for one's already high expectations to be...
I'm willing to accept the possibility that my settings are contributing to the cloud issue, or rather, are not diminishing it. However, NONE of the settings I have tried, in their various combinations, suggestions from the threads, etc. have made more than a modest dent in the clouds. And even then, only at the expense of all detail in the blacks. [shrug] If my settings are not good, and my panel is OK, then why didn't I see the same clouds on the demo model at the store...
I really don't think this is a calibration issue. I've been through DVE several times and had pretty much all of the settings up and down the scales trying to calibrate away the clouds. I'm not a pro calibrator, or even close, really. HOWEVER, nothing I do makes the clouds go away. They are marginally less hideous with backlight low and Black Corrector high, but only marginally. Having seen my 'cloudy' set and then seeing the same one that is totally smooth and...
Without the Black Corrector, my screen is washed out, specifically the cloudy spots. I'm jealous that you have good black without the corrector, it DOES blow away a lot of detail.I'm not a nazi about black level; I can VERY happily live with the black level I get on my 32s2010. I guess my point is that I understand the tradeoffs with LCD. I know black won't be as good as my old 34hs510. I'm OK with that. My settings aren't ideal, or maybe even that good. However,...
My expectations for black levels of my xbr2 are not unreasonable (I don't think, anyway). All I would like is for it to be as good or better then my 32s2010, which cost less than half as much. I forgot to mention in my earlier posts...When I first went back to talk to the store manager where I purchased my set (SonyStyle, Arlington VA) I went to the back of the store where a display xbr3 was mounted on the wall, and had the salesperson turn off the lights. It wasn't...
Exactly. I don't know about your guys, but for me, $3500 (give or take) is a LOT of money. It is completely reasonable to expect [near] perfection.