or Connect

Posts by owan

use a discrete GPU. a 5xxx series card will do bitstreaming and the 5550/5570 cards and above will have more power available for deinterlacing and post-processing effect but they won't do 3D. The 6xxx series will, but they haven't released the low-end cards that are more suitable for HTPC use yet. I believe nvidia might have some 3d capable cards, but I'm not sure since I think 3D is a crummy gimmick anyway.
I don't see the Zacate as being a really awesome alternative to current HTPC favorites outside of the nettop/mini-ITX market. Frankly, the price of current desktop chips, motherboards and discrete GPU's is so low that the price differential between the Zacate and a much much more powerful system will be too small to justify NOT getting the full system. I mean, compare an athlon II 240 with 2GB of ram and a desktop 5450 with the zacate/Brazos combo. Price-wise, we're...
I can certainly appreciate the fact that a 2TB drive has a lot of appeal when its the same price as an SSD thats 1/40th the size. It still doesn't change the fact that at $60, $70 or $80, an SSD is a reasonable purchase, as opposed to when they used to be 100's of dollars. Its just an interesting thought because I can't really decide whether the I/O load is of a nature that would benefit from the extra throughput of an SSD. Is a 7200rpm drive a bottleneck, what about a...
This is true, its all about what an individual wants to spend. this forum is evidence enough of that (15k+ projectors etc). I'm just more interested to see if the disk subsystem is a bottleneck at all in HTPC use. The thing about HTPC tasks is that most of them just require the system to be "fast enough." enough power for BD playback, enough speed to decode and record TV streams etc. Anything else is overkill and you see literally zero benefit. I could have a 4ghz CPU that...
Quote: Originally Posted by ilovejedd +1. Something I've noticed on a 2.5" 5400 RPM drive (M-ITX build), it takes quite a while to open MediaBrowser and it takes even longer before all my posters and metadata are available. Hmm, if I remember correctly, I see a message "Fast metadata refresh took ..." and that value's usually 300+ seconds. I've just built a new HTPC with a G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB. I still haven't completed setting it up but we'll see...
Interesting reads, mostly just the first one though. I'm not surprised that they saw almost no benefits, since they were using it as a recording drive. They don't address application loading, caching, or sleep/wakeup times. These come into play when you start using external programs like mediabrowser or hulu desktop as part of your 7MC setup. Media browser is always pretty slow to open for me, but I don't know if its limited by my OS drive performance or the storage drive....
In my mind the hard performance figures and subjective "feel" benefits are very well established. The question is, do any of these have an impact on how an HTPC behaves? The most logical setup for an HTPC would be to have a modestly sized SSD drive for the OS, with a big low-power storage drive, or perhaps a network storage solution. In that scenario will the SSD have a noticeable impact? Most of the time you'd be reading video files off the storage drive or recording TV...
I don't see why you'd need a big OS drive if all you're doing with it is normal stuff. A 60 gig SSD can be had for under $100. With an OS install of ~20gigs or less, you've got a pretty good amount of extra space for breathing room and normal HTPC applicationsWhat about coming back from sleep mode? in that case you don't need to worry about the BIOS initializationGood points about PicPSU's. If you're doing some kind of miniITX system then an SSD would cut down on load. It...
I agree about the power draw, but in my experience I do notice my 7200rpm drives getting fairly warm. I only just picked up an SSD for my main rig so I can't comment on how warm it gets. I often have a spinup delay on my storage drives that isn't earth-shattering, but its there. As for noise, bushings only do so much, since the vibration is not the only source of noise. Head seek noise is also a factor. For normal PC use though, it is actually amazing how big a difference...
Decent SSD's are reaching the price where they're tempting for HTPC use. I'd never spend 200$ on an OS drive for my HTPC since I don't game on it, but at $80 bucks its starting to become a possibility. Mostly I'm interested in an "instant on" kind of experience since I sleep my HTPC when its not in use as opposed to total shutdown. Would there be a big boost in terms of wakeup speed using something like a 40-60gig SSD to replace my WD Green drives? EDIT: Feel free to...