or Connect

Posts by BullishDad

xnappo's database is an excellent resource to help you determine what to use. It seems like an Antec MX-1 enclosure and a 750 GB Western Digital drive should work, and cost you much less than $379. http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/basepo...x=/xnappo/main
Thanks for the calculations. Here are the most recent numbers. (sorry if table didn't display properly) -----AVFS1 AVFS2 Combined Total 146 213 359 Avail 45 37 82 DVR pct reported filled: 75% This would seem to imply the total space at 328 (82/.25). So 31gb is "missing". (359-328) I'm more inclined to reformat the external before the internal to see what happens, but there are some shows to watch first.
Yes, I did. It shows roughly 40gb available on each drive, and the total of the external is 213gb. For a 250gb drive the 213gb seems a little low, but not so much that it would explain why 30 hrs of HD recordings would take up 74%.
Thanks, Danny. I'm still puzzled by the 74%. I was having problems when I deleted a bunch of shows. Maybe that section of the drive isn't available for some reason.
The old drive in the new MX-1 connected fine to the 8300HD I was able to access of couple of shows that I couldn't earlier, so that's good. I noticed that the used space is at 74% for 30 shows, and that seems too low. Before the swap, it said 49%. The external drive is 250gb. Is it possible that some of the available space isn't being recognized? I estimate about 25 hours of HD has been recorded, so I don't think it is only counting the internal drive. I've...
I thought about that, but the output on the power supply is slightly different. It probably would be OK, but I don't know enough about these things. The Starmen says, 5V-2A, 12V-2A. The Antec says, 5V-1.5A, 12V-1.8A. The pins that connect to the enclosure look a little different too, but the shape looks the same. I have the drive in the new enclosure, but can't test it right now. Hopefully, later.
Ray, thanks for the input, but at least for my box, I don't consider the delay normal. After disconnecting the external drive, the 8300HD finally booted properly. When I powered off and waited about 3 minutes for the drive to spin down, then powered up again, the drive started spinning almost immediately and the picture came up. (No delay) I just tried again to attach the external drive, but continue to get an error message. So, I'm coming to the conclusion the...
My provider is Cablevision, with 8300/SARA and I 've been using WD 250GB drive in an Apricorn enclosure for over one year. I have the Starmen power adapter, so that could be the answer, but another symptom has puzzled me that I didn't see listed in the pages I just read (went back to middle of March 2008). About two weeks ago we had problems with freezing that sound very similar to the "Starmen" induced ones. That happened for about two days, and hasn't returned, but a...
After preparing my post above, I see that Ken used the same combination as me, although he finds the Apricorn a bit noisy. I said it was quiet because in comparison to my cheapie IDE enclosure it is much much quieter. It took me a minute or two to figure out that to open the enclosure it pulls apart from the seams along the sides. After you place the drive in the enclosure and connect the SATA cable, make sure the screw holes (underneath the soft black plastic...
As a new AVS member I want to thank those who have posted in the past. The information obtained here gave me the confidence to try this project. Although it has only been two days, the external drive is working well, without any glitches. Xnappo's database was very helpful in deciding which equipment to purchase. I have entered my information into the database, which hopefully helps others. Because the Google checkout promotion at Buy.com was ending, I figured the...