or Connect

Posts by montanaman

The deep discounts on the GT25 kinda makes me think the GT30 will be a significant upgrade. Just more speculation I know but the question is why such great prices on the GT25?
Mr. Anderson...I've changed my mind from the other thread. It's a bad deal that we cannot get the premium sets (GT/VT30) in the smaller sizes, and I wonder if this is merely a decision the manufacturers are making for us? The Europeans get the smaller high end sets, why not run a batch for the US market as well? Anyways let's hope the ST30 is pretty dern good.
Seems to be the way it is going for the US. European models however have 42/46" high end models. Really, if the demand for small high end plasmas was present in the US, I believe the sets would be there. Demand (read sales) not high enough= no product. Smaller sizes attract the entry-level budget buyer, with the apparent thinking that this buyer's upgrade set will just be larger or larger and more high end. Happened with Pioneer; not enough demand for the price they were...
46" plasma fans are also stuck with ST30 for 2011 models (unless Costco comes up with a 46GT30 or 46GT29). 2010 3d models less than 50" (that would be the 42GT25 and Costco 46GT24), were said to not display full 1080 vertical resolution in 3d. Also rumoured to be the case for 2011 (thus the 42ST30 and 46ST30). If a 46GT30 (or even a 42GT30) somehow shows up in a discount store (think Costco or...), the paranoia is it may be a "lesser" or "cheapened" version. See this...
From the information we have for 2011 plasma so far...yes...ST30.
And there is also the possibility Costco will have a 46GT30 (or GT29) down the line. Would give Costco a unique model just like the 46GT24 is. The GT30 as announced is minimum 50".
Nice find and thanks for the Spanish "X" manual earlier. Some more comparisons: ST (42,46,50) have swivel square base (55" no swivel); S30 (42,46,50) and X3 are square and do not swivel. G25 and GT25 have round swivel base (54"G25 square no swivel). 50VT25 round swivel; 54VT25 square no swivel. PRO Settings: ST adds "Colorspace" not found G/GT/VT25. ST White Balance high and low for R/G/B; G/GT/VT25 Red & Blue only (however it looks like RGB high and...
And another bonus...it will get better over time. I am approaching 2k hours on a 500m and in my subjective opinion the blacks have gotten darker and the colors richer, even from the 1k point. Well...the blacks have always been great but the picture just seems better. The loss of Pioneer display manufacturing is a loss some of us just did not properly understand. Panasonic makes a pretty good display but the Pioneer just has a special touch. Then there are all...
I see your point. So the black bars are not always at 0 black? On SD satellite that I have, when a station has black bars, I have to drop brightness to -10 to get the bars to closely blend with the bezel. For the OP, sounds like what he is seeing is normal, but he may get blacker bars by dropping the brightness (at least with broadcast/satellite/cable). But your point stands: The 9G cannot quite achieve complete black.
WARNING...read at your own risk. If you are so inclined, try "Folk Settings." Folk settings generally start with a reference and then tweak to taste. Want more black...turn brightness down lower than -1; try -5 or -10 (gasp!). OK it may not be reference and you may get black crush and you will not be able to run with the big dogs here, but you may like it. However, if your entire movie is ruined because you missed a crease in a black coat, better stick with test...