or Connect

Posts by Brady84

Hi jlohojo7! I'm very excited to see your project here! Subscribed! Our theaters share/will share many things in common, from room layout and design down to the gothic theme. Shawn also did my original layout and my experience follows yours, top notch through and through. I see that you have arches on the sidewalls and this is something that I'm looking to do eventually in my theater as well. I think I'd like to make my column connecting arches out of MDF and styled...
This is an awesome idea! Thank you very much!
After a few hours of research here on the boards I am still struggling with one aspect of my theater build. How to attach fabric covered columns to existing drywall without fabric staples or mounting hardware showing. My plan is to construct the columns out of 3/4" MDF, paint them black, and then cover them in black AT fabric. The columns will have a 46" radius curve at the top meeting the ceiling at 60 degrees; this allows my soffit mounted surround speakers to be...
I second these statements! I think that many home theater systems have surround speakers that are far too weak for high level playback. I was at my parents house last weekend and my dad has a better than average HT setup with good quality wharfedale speakers and a Velodyne DD15 sub in a moderately sized room. We were watching movies around -10 to -15db from reference and while the front soundstage had no issues at these volumes I could hear distortion coming from his...
I run two sets of side surrounds, one for each row, and could not be happier. A couple weeks ago I had a problem with my miniDSP, which I use to add delay to the back row of side surrounds as per Erskine best practices, which rendered the back row of side surrounds dead for the evening. I happened to sit on the back row that night and noticed a large difference in sound envelopment compared to my normal listening experience. Since I am using monopole side surrounds I...
The best way I can put it is that once you hear 115db-120db of clean deep bass at your primary listening position you realize what the sub "could do" doesn't really matter anymore...all I know is that my S2 can provide deafening and above SPL's while sounding like it's walking casually through the park. There are sick comrades amongst us here on AVS who possess more base than a single S2 can put out but what they are achieving is smoother in room response and pure...
It's been a while since I've posted here; once you go full JTR there isn't much need for research and internet trolling! We are still loving our "old school" T12's and S2 setup, the only thing I've noticed is that the S2 is loosening up our new construction house! We have a few more rattles than we used to in the theater; I guess I need to run around with a calk gun and ear plugs while play AOF at 0, that should help me find them! We've also found that entertaining...
My slant 8's aren't mounted on the ceiling but they are butted up against it. I think they sound great mounted high and angled down. The sound is different than a standard home theater but I think it sounds more like a commercial movie theater with the sound coming from that high of an angle. I have plenty of room to mount them where I want but I have no intention of lowering them.
Well if you watched that one I would recommend you go with something like Underworld Awakening next. Watched that one last week at -3 when the family was out of town and it's more of a visceral experience than a movie! All of these double S2 owners are making me jealous. If I could see the bass asymmetry in my room I'me sure it would drive me nuts! Thank goodness for false walls and AT screens!
Got my screen wall finished a couple weeks ago. I like that all the firepower is hidden from unsuspecting guests! Front wall consists of JTR Triple 12 HT's X3, JTR Captivator S2, and a 125" Wide Seymour AV 2.07 Screen with CIH and CIW velvet panels. All of these products are top notch quality in my books and money well spent. The Inner Guts: All Covered Up: