or Connect

Posts by MichaelJHuman

$25 for 300 watts into 4 ohms sounds suspect. There's some clear examples of lying going on in audio. This might be one of those cases. Personally, I see no concern with Chinese made products. It's as good as the quality that the company insists on. Which could be good or bad depending on brand. There's long been total junk coming out of Asia sold for cheap, and you sometimes get what you pay for - so you should buy with your eyes open. Something that's much cheaper...
Last time I checked, which I admit was years ago, there were very few receivers rated for 4 ohm speakers on all channels. Yet they sell 4 ohm speakers, and not many people use separates. Which implies to me, you can often get away with it. Personally I just stick with 8 ohm speakers, then I don't have to think about it, but it sounds like you already have some Onkyo used to have some 4 ohm rated receivers, but looking at their site I see no mention of it (I could have...
I would never worry about DACs. There's too many more important factors, and there's no way I have ever heard of to test and isolate DACs outside the AVRs they are used in. So how could you ever know if the DAC did matter. I suggest not driving yourself crazy with such minutia. Unless you love it. But even if you love it, how you goin' know how the DACs in some AVR sound? You can't really pull them out and test them in isolation .
Can't believe this thread is still alive I can kind of understand why people want to insist on some better run testing, but I don't see it happening as there's no fiscal incentive. And this is something only a small number of people spend time thinking about. Seems more realistic to assume any tests done will never meet everyone's criteria for a properly run study of the subject matter. Which means everyone who cares will just have to take their best shot at getting...
All valid questions. I will do my best to address them.First off, speaker ratings seem to be of little importance. As you can probably have double the amp power vs the max power you should put into a speaker. Ideally you don't want to overdrive your amp. It's hard to damage speakers when your amp is putting out a clean signal, and your speakers aren't totally wrong for the job ( a one watt speaker driven with 100 watt amp is a bad idea, for example.)Ratings are not cut...
Hasn't changed too much has it? Dolby and DTS should probably say Dolby DD and TrueHD and DTS should probably be DTS and DTS Master Audio. Five channels is correct - some people would not run all seven speakers even if the receiver supported it. Video switching is still all you need for video - upscaling is pointless for most people in the modern area, unless they are in need of good DVD to HD scaling as their TVs scaling is junk. Any suggestions for what you think it...
That's if all channels were driven at the same time with the same power needs. Not sure that actually happens.
Some really cheap receivers have seemed to lack bass. Just my experience with some cheapo receivers friends have owned. Also, it's possible your expectations are not reasonable. I find the best bass is through a powered sub woofer. I have full range B&W speakers, and the bass is clearly more muddy and less pleasing when running them full range without my powered subs. With the powered subs, there's more than enough bass. If I lived in a house I might go with "deeper"...
I try to avoid setting my receiver to such high levels. There's some issues with doing so 1) Over 0 is really really loud with a sufficiently hot signal - if you were playing something with a low signal, and you switch to a hot signal, you will get a very unpleasant "surprise" ( I have had it happen by mistake and never want to experience that again) 2) For normal programs, that's way beyond the receiver's capabilities I actually set a cap on the Yamaha receivers which...
Good point, garygarrison. I believe that's totally correct about the drop in dB in real rooms. If I ever work on this again, I will try to find a link to a calculator and post a range of dB values, rather than the drop under worst case conditions