or Connect

Posts by taskman

I'll do a shotgun reply to the last three posts. 1. I haven't seen or heard of that HDMI issue. While you are out of warranty, you can call Epson and they can let you know if its a known issue. 2. Search AVS for the input lag thread but I have never heard of input lag for the 8500UB. I have tested PC, PS3, Xbox, and PS2, no issue. 3. I sympathize, I really do. I would go 8350 personally, it actually ups the lumens slightly and I don't see the point of investing in a...
I agree with you, the AV contractor talked me out of running HDMI which I partially regret. I had also done plenty of HDMI runs up to 50FT without issue and there are a couple of locations that could have been one offs but will now require the receiver. However if you want to distribute video like you said, I haven't found a better cost effective option. You can go HDMI Matrix switches but those are massive headaches.
Welcome to the world of pro AV distribution. I'm just getting into it myself, I have an identical setup in the new construction house I just moved into. You could go cheap with simple HDMI over Ethernet adapter but management would be a mess. Your AV guy talks like my AV guy. He is suggesting HDBaseT hardware which is great but not exactly cheap. Looking at the Gefen, notice the HDMI outputs which are really redundant if you only want to push video over HDBaseT Ethernet....
I think it will depend on what your output on your HTPC to your HVR is currently. If your doing HDMI pass through, it may sound better letting the Yamaha decode and then output to the headphones. Personally, I would test both just to see what differences you can detect. I plan on looking into this myself in a month or so as my home theater room is moving closer to our bedroom and I need an alternate when my wife is sleeping. So far, Turtle Beach seems to be the gold...
My personal preference is dosbox and some of the other emulator tools out there. I find it very useful, especially when you need a custom resolution forced for certain games that may have no resolution options. Plus, I get to pipe it out digitally to the projector and blow those glorious pixels up.
That is fairly unacceptable by Elite. People rely on that data for precise measurement to put the biggest damn screen possible for the space available. I'm a big Elite fan and I think that is bad answer to your query.
My only suggestion would be that you verify you really want the K version of the Intel 3570 for overclocking. Intel removes their vPro management suite for the K versions of their processor. It primarily allows for remote administration of the box, like powering it on from an off state, console access, etc. It is also typically cheaper than the K version. You can do a quick comparison at http://ark.intel.com. Everything else looks solid, welcome to the HTPC living room club.
As a long time gamer, I can very much understand the frustration of gaming lag. It is like the manufactures put us at the bottom of the list, sigh. I've been lucky so far in not experiencing any lag but I also test my equipment after purchase to make sure no significant lag is introduced. Refer to this thread which has instructions on how to use your PC/Laptop to measure input lag:...
For those having bulb issues, it all comes down to economics as you have mentioned. The new projectors are OK but beyond some better black levels, contrast, brightness, and 3D(blah). There isn't any compelling reason to upgrade. The 8500UB is still a beast but the damn thing eats bulbs. I'm hoping to keep it alive another 1-2 years. Worse case, go cheap and get an 8350 or 8700UB which doesn't eat bulbs. 4K or LED, that is the tech worth upgrading for. Just need prices to...
Well, if you haven't tossed it already. More than likely it is just the bulb, welcome to Club Red. Call Epson, tell them it died well short of 700h and they will probably give you 1-2 bulbs.