or Connect

Posts by LineWalker

In over two and a half decades of concert-going, I've seen a lot of shows--mostly metal or hard rock, but with a few variations in-between--but few of them were of the highest caliber of showmanship, in my opinion. For straight-ahead rock, Rush holds the top spot in my book for their shows; for metal, it would have to be Iron Maiden for the spectacles they put on. But the highest honors I have to offer would have to go to Rammstein, because all of the shows they've put on...
I saw it in theaters in 3D when it first came out. It's pretty good for a period piece, and a nicely done reworking of a classic tale, but the 3D was flatter than most films I've seen to date, and didn't do too much to promote the visual effects. You can take a shot at it if you like, but I'd avoid the 3D version.
Now for one I recognize: John Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness. Sam Neill in the sanitarium. "Lived any good books lately?"
I've got some answers to some of the questions others have had about some of the movie's finer points: [[SPOILER]] Hope that helps.I would also recommend the Director's Cut of the movie, if only in that it sheds a bit more light on what occurred after the start (and at the end) of all the action. It's not as radical a revision as the DC of Chronicles was, but more like the DC of Pitch Black, in that you get a little more footage and some greater clarity.
I craved OAR home video titles for years, but they took their sweet time coming out. The earliest versions of the Star Wars original trilogy VHS sets were among the very first OAR tapes I had, until I started getting into DVDs around the turn of the century. I had a lot of OAR VHS in my library, let me tell you... I had tapes in the beginning because I couldn't afford Laserdisc tech at the time. Besides, the discs were available in two sizes, were made with two playback...
Maximilian Schell, the actor who won an Oscar for his work in the classic Judgment at Nuremberg, has died at age 83. More on that here: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/02/01/maximilian-schell-dies/ I personally remember him for films such as The Odessa File and The Black Hole. Rather versatile, he also got a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Lenin in Stalin. He will be missed.
Got the limited edition today, and had a go of it this evening. I was thoroughly blown away, just as I was in the theater. The 3D was just like I saw in IMAX (albeit noticeably smaller), and the sound was loud enough that I needed to lower the volume during the noisier parts (as much to keep from upsetting my neighbors as to be able to hear it clearly). Note of caution: the audio defaults to stereo instead of 5.1, which I discovered at the very beginning of the movie....
The sound of the movie overall was loud, as one can expect from any Metallica concert, but toned down a bit for movie audiences so that you didn't need earplugs. (Occasionally a concert movie can be loud beyond reckoning--I had that problem with the theatrical showing of Rush: Clockwork Angels Live, where the volume was too high in the theater, just like at a real Rush concert without using earplugs.) It was a lot like being at one of their concerts in the flesh, and I...
I saw this in IMAX 3D when it first came out, and I was highly impressed with the results. The story that wraps around the concert footage was insane in its own right, and the 3D looked good throughout. I have since ordered the limited edition from Best Buy (since I had a gift card from them; the Metallica store would have been more expensive in my case), and should receive it later this week around release date or shortly thereafter. A note on packaging of the product:...
I actually saw this premiered in the MIT screening room last March, and I found it quite fascinating. Lots of discussion with director Mamoru Hosoda afterward (plus autographs ). Haven't gotten it yet, but I might just pick this up if they have it at the Dealers' Room at Anime Boston this year.