or Connect

Posts by coderguy

It still decreases even after 5000 hours, but it starts decreasing very slowly. The original idea of the bulbs is that they are actually designed to last up to 10,000 hours if you can keep them bright enough, I mean it is the same bulb tech in some old DLP and SXRD TV's and many many people got 10,000 hours out of those, the main difference is just that those TV's have more leg room on brightness to start with.
I got 7500 hours out of mine on the w7000, and then I replaced it for $120 without the housing. So that is 1.6 cents per hour.
I disagree with so much info in this thread, but will bite my tongue as much as possible. Last measurement I saw of a Panasonic VT60 was 24,000:1 native on/off, whereas the newer JVC's can do over 50,000:1 on/off even before the IRIS, and with the IRIS several hundred thousand to 1 (this is not STATED, this is measured). Huige difference here, these plasmas claim 5,000,000:1 but they can only do 25,000:1 in real world measurements. The big difference of what you think is...
I don't agree that TV's have gotten better around the $3000 mark, if anything the BENCHMARK TV is still a Pioneer Kuro. The bigger TV's seem to also have much worse contrast than the smaller TV's (hence going above 50" to 60" seems to cause issues with TV's and they lose contrast compared to the same model of a smaller size, at least I saw this in a few tests - not sure how correct it was).Projectors on the other hand have really come a long ways in the sharpness...
When my RS-45 bulb exploded, I read about how to clean it up. When the bulb first blows, you should leave the room if possible and let it sit for a day (with windows in room open if possible). That way your mercury intake will be reduced. Finally your supposed to put a mask on, and then you can use a playing card deck to sweep it out into a bag. Then let it sit another day or so, then vacuum it up with a disposable vacuum that you throw away later (be careful not to...
You must drink energy drinks all day or something to get all this done. I'm going to be in your part of the world tomorrow VERY briefly, as I'm flying to DC tomorrow for a 2-hour layaway before I then hop on a little commuter plane to some ho-bunk town in upstate NY, wow I don't like the DC airport. Long story, but have to do some business stuff in the middle of nowhere. I have some time to kill but I'll be in the middle of nowhere waiting on this business thing, so I...
Better is subjective, the newer JVC's can beat Plasmas in most contrast types, especially black levels. Projectors produce a smoother more film-like look, TV's are more digital looking. If you like the glossy digital look, then a TV will probably look slightly better. The Sub-$2000 projectors aren't as good as the best TV's, but the JVC's are better IMHO.
14% brighter isn't very much to the eye.
I was able to replace the lamp in the housing and now it is as good as new. The lamp I bought from the above link was the REAL Phillips lamp. It is a bit tricky to replace the lamp, but not that bad. Pretty good deal for $120, got 7000+ hours out of $120 lamp :P
Yah the IRIS is pretty useless on the hc7900, causes a flickering like effect. I'd say the IRIS on the w7000 is better, even though it's not great either. I'll probably send the hc7900 back just because I think I've got too many projectors, though it'd make a good replacement for the Viewsonic. I could just resale it, but figure an RMA is easier. That said, it's a definite steal for $799 and the picture quality is very similar to the w7000 other than the brightness being...