or Connect

Posts by badasscat

Still with the 8300HD? Those things just don't seem powerful enough to both decode an HD signal and run a program guide, let alone do anything else. It's one reason why I switched to TiVo. The TiVo Premiere I have with CV has none of those problems; it was a night and day difference as far as stability of the picture goes. I swear the PQ seemed better after I got it too, although that could have just been psychological.But now I'm just having consistent PQ issues on...
Ugh, yeah, I've seen that too. If this keeps up, CV will force me back to FiOS (I had it for a while, but their internet was really unreliable and CV made me an offer I couldn't refuse to switch back). I never had a problem with CV before, but this is now ranking up there with the worst HD picture quality I've ever seen.
Has CV started doing any additional rate shaping or compression or anything like that? Even on previously "good" channels (major networks, movie channels), I'm seeing a lot more compression artifacts over the past month or so than I used to. I used to at least count on getting a basically pristine picture on the major networks, but, for example, the Thanksgiving parade on NBC was a horror show of blockiness and ringing artifacts, and I'm watching the Giants game now...
Plasma does have a *more* uniform screen, and the ST50 has at least among the best I've seen (I'm not sure it's *the* best, but I am super, super nitpicky and I see hardly anything wrong with the uniformity on the ST50).But it's as unrealistic as ever to expect any TV to be absolutely perfect, in this or any other area. No TV has perfect black levels, no TV has perfect color, no TV has perfect screen uniformity, etc. If this were even possible, then whoever manages to do...
Try playing around with the motion smoothing setting. If you're using C-Net's settings then I'm guessing you have it turned off, which is the correct setting but maybe you're not used to that or just don't like it. In that case, try setting it to weak. I wouldn't go above that. If you for some reason didn't turn it off along with the C-Net settings, then try doing that.
Alright, here's a stupid question. I just got the Spears and Munsil calibration disc which has a test video for 24p content. I tested it both at 60hz and 48hz, tried to ignore the 48hz strobing and just see what the image itself was supposed to look like. I didn't see any difference at all at 60hz other than the lack of strobing. No moire, no judder, no flickering or whatever, none of the other issues the instructions told me to look for.So the stupid question: what's...
Don't LG's kill the resolution when you're watching in 3D? I tried 3D on one of their sets at BB and it looked awful. Checked around and saw a lot of complaints about them fudging the resolution numbers in 3D. I honestly thought the ST50 looked the best in 3D of any of the four TV's BB had set up to demo it. I think they had the ST50, an LG plasma, a Samsung LCD and a Sony LCD. The LG looked the worst, the ST50 the best. The Samsung and Sony had worse crosstalk plus...
Thanks - this is kind of what I was hoping for. I probably won't feel totally at ease about it for a month or two, but I actually looked at my old 42" LCD today in the same way and it's warped too, in pretty much the exact same place. Never noticed before. And I've had that thing for 5 years now.You are right, I need to just quit nitpicking, my wife thinks I'm a total nut. She said she wished she had the camera when I was eyeing this thing last night.
Would simply loosening the closest case screw help alleviate any pressure on that area?I've also tried to check the screen itself and it appears straight. I think it's just the bezel/trim that's got a slight curve to it, but still wonder if it's putting extra pressure on the screen.I think there's also a chance that this is me just looking for *anything* wrong with this TV now that I've tweaked my colors a bit (D-Nice's settings didn't really work out for my panel), I...
Here's a weird issue, and please tell me if I'm just being obsessive, but I'm also curious if anyone else has this. The top/back of my 50" ST50 appears to be slightly *bent*. I don't think it's shipping damage or anything, because the box looked perfect and the packaging seemed basically undisturbed. I'm pretty sure it's the way it was made, but just curious if they're all like this, or if it's just some natural variance on a big TV (it's only maybe a couple mm...