or Connect

Posts by sperron

Since this thread is obviously badly derailed I might as well go OT too.Games should focus on what makes them better. Sometimes it's a solid narrative, other times it's pure gameplay. Games like GoW I and II, for example, have gameplay that is solid, but nothing extraordinary. The GoW games really shine because of the setting and story. Or you can take a game like N+ which is pure gameplay with no attempt at a story whatsoever. Personally, I really hate it when I'm...
Even if Paramount doesn't "recall" this title, maybe this situation will make it clear to the Studios that many of their customers do expect more from these discs then just being "better then the DVD". So I hope this release turns into a huge stink for Paramounts PR department.
I'd be worried about heat dissipation. Sure the metal case has holes in it for ventilation, but it's most likely dissipating quite a bit of heat as well. I would think that a wooden 360 case could act very much like an insulator and cause hot spots wherever air flow is insufficient inside the case. If it were a plastic housed console like the Wii or PS3, I would have far less concern.
If you have 20/20 eysight, you have to be sitting where the red line in this picture is or closer (using your screen size) to be able to see 1080p worth of detail. If you are sitting further away then that, then you aren't seeing all the detail and any impressions you have will marred by not seeing all the detail. The further you sit back from the red line, the more acceptable the problems on this disc will appear to you. So if you have 20/20 vision and a 42" TV,...
This is a pretty cool idea for a lot of the gems from last gen. I don't know how feasible it is for most PS2 exclusive games though. According to the IGN interview, this was mostly possible because the GoW games were mainly based in straight C programming (meaning potentially portable to other platforms). PS2 exclusives that were programmed "to the metal" would need an extensive amount of reprogramming to create code usable on the PS3. I'd imagine that multiplatform games...
I've had to have my Wii repaired several times. What I have learned is that it is useless to back up your downloads if you are sending it off for repair. If Nintendo replaces the main board in the system, none of the backed up games will work with your system when it's returned. You then have to sit there and manually redownload every single game one by one while watching mario continuously run across your screen until you finally finish downloading them all again. If they...
Actually, I really enjoyed the hotel level near the end of the game and would highly recommend playing atleast that far.
The further the laser has to move (seek), the longer it takes for the laser to move to retrieve the data. By placing multiple copies of data on the disc, it reduces the amount of time wasted by the laser moving around (the laser just moves to the closest copy of the data). The practical upshot of this is that the laser can spend more time reading data off the disc and spend less time traveling around being unable to do so.
I personally found the game to be very uneven. The high points were definitely the retro levels. The low points were any time that you actually needed the camera to cooperate with you (ugh, the journey up the back of the ferris wheel for instance). Some sections of gameplay were stellar while others just seemed to suck the fun out of the game. The game really feels like Nintendo had a whole bunch of leftover bits from other game ideas and just wadded them all up into a...
I don't even know what to think about someone validating thier own opinion by using subjective numerical values based on a grading system that only they use. Clearly if he says it's a 15.5, uh... I dunno. He then follows up by giving Braveheart, which by all accounts is simply stunning, an 18.5. So on a 20 point scale, a mediocre looking title like Gladiator is only 3 points different from near reference quality? (or as Bill Hunt refers to the difference in quality between...