or Connect

Posts by sperron

I would think that camera based controls would be a very bad fit on the Wii. The amount of processing overhead must be very high, especially if you do not want a tremendous amount of latency.
You most likely won't find what you are looking for. Your best bet is to just use the solution I'm using. Just buy a couple rca "barrel" connectors and another set of stereo RCA cables to extend the audio to your receiver. Alternatively you could buy a set of stereo RCA cables that are male on one end and female on the other.
Each instance of a THX optimizer only applies to the specific disc it's on. The whole point of it is so that you can adjust your display to match precisely what the people that made the disc saw. This is why at the end of the THX optimizer it then plays a short clip from the movie so you can verify that the changes you made look OK. There are probably cases where the THX optimizer will match DVE or another reference disc, but that is more of a coincidence then anything...
The situation you are describing could be a software problem. If the software thought there was an internet connection it would attempt to use it and fail if there was a problem. The PS3 has an option to prevent BDs from accessing internet features. The annoying part about selecting this option is that it prompts you every single time you start a movie asking you if you want to enable internet connectivity.
If I was to hazzard a guess about this, it'd be that the intermediate option is for those people that are using these settings as a replacement for thier set's contrast and brightness controls. Not everyone is sophisticated enough about these things and I'm sure Microsoft has no wish to have customer support calls about the issue if they tried to explain it in the dashboard. It would be great if the 3 consoles had simple onboard calibration patterns to eliminate all this...
Actually, you can use the HD DVD drive to calibrate the console. The problem I run into with games is not that it is crushing blacks, but rather that the developer has elevated the black level to a point where the screen looks washed out (see the NBA2K9 demo). Setting the console to "standard" levels ensures optimal quality for movies/video while still presenting a very high quality for games. Even if you use expanded levels and PC level test patterns, you still have to...
One thing to keep in mind when reading complaint posts is that only part of the disappointment is that the video doesn't meet expectations. The other part of the disappointmen is the knowledge that it will be an indeterminant number of years before a better release. In the case or a lot of catalog titles, there may never be a better release. I know there were quite a few early DVD releases that never got the benefit of a modern transfer and encoding process on that...
If you search Mr.D's post history, he's given a lot of good information based on his professional video experience.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13776980Basically all of this comes down to 2 options: 1) Set up your display/projector to mimic professional video standards (correctly displaying 16-255) so that what you are seeing matches what the professionals that created the content saw as closely as possible. 2) Only correctly display 16-235 and live with...
I set the brightness using the HD DVD version of the AVS HD disc available here with the HD DVD add on. The brightness is set correctly using the brightness pattern on that disc. To set the contrast I used the same disc as well as HCFR and an i1pro. The point where the 360 is causing clipping in white is a much lower contrast setting then either my PS3 or Oppo dvd player.
This is the 360 using limited (AKA standard) video settings vs the PS3 using limited video settings. Both consoles are passing WTW and BTB. Neither of the consoles are using PC (AKA expanded) video settings.