or Connect

Posts by Neo_Reloaded

I consider this a reasonable opposition to TT. In terms of direct online sales, I agree that perhaps the studio doing it themselves would be more economical and could result in lower prices. Handing them to TT is essentially adding a middle man.There is a world of difference between your suggestion here, and what most others are whining for - mass retail release and way-below-MSRP sale prices.
Sure, TT is saying this. But Sony and Fox are also saying this, by virtue of them participating in this program. Warner is saying this in every DVD panel they participate in - catalog sales are not there, support the releases they do put out if you want to see more, etc. etc. Every studio that is transitioning to direct-order MOD for deep catalogue (isn't that nearly all of them at this point?) is saying this. Where is YOUR proof? And besides all of that - YOU ARE STILL...
If you were arguing over why Sony isn't doing an online direct-sale method (the same as Twilight Time is doing) on a Sony website, I'd agree with some of these points. The restoration / master creation is done by them no matter what, and they can get as good, or most likely better, deals on authoring and disc pressing. I feel this is something they could potentially consider in the future, and if I had to guess I'd say they haven't already only because they'd rather take a...
Well Sony at least seems pretty invested in 4k discs. Sony insider Penton-man on the blu-ray forums is all but stating they're definitely going to happen - maybe even starting with the Spider-man reboot.Will it be a brand-new format? No, I think that'd be suicide. Blu-ray is still finding its footing to some degree in terms of market penetration, and DVD will be around for a long time yet. But I can easily see it being an optional extension of Blu-ray - the way Blu-ray 3D...
Some movies here and there have been exclusively released on Blu-ray (no stand-alone DVD version). The most recent example is The Skin I Live In from Sony. Only one SKU - a Blu-ray / DVD combo pack in a Blu-ray case.
Phew, I was worried people wouldn't find anything to complain about.
So with zero fanfare, a new version of The French Connection has landed on Best Buy shelves. Visibly looks like the DVD image (in terms of colors), no color de-saturation issues, no reds bleeding all over the place, etc. http://www.examiner.com/film-in-pitt...connection-bds Some pesky BD+ issues preventing full confirmation...
Anything 4k that comes out this year will be insanely expensive. 2012 is not the year 4k experiences anything close to a mainstream launch. There is not even a standard for releasing 4k-based media - some are discussing it as a Blu-ray spec extension, but talk is preliminary. There is still plenty of time for studios to sell 1080p discs before 4k media is a reality. Plenty of major films are scheduled for Blu-ray release this year, and you can trust the other blockbusters...
I said "at some point before that" - I understand it didn't materialize out of thin air. But clearly some combination of timing and monetary concerns caused Criterion to opt not to use it - unless of course you're ascribing to the Fanboyz school of reasoning and saying that Criterion didn't use it out of sheer ineptitude, all their other achievements as evidence to the contrary be damned.
Having the restoration shown a month before the release of the Criterion BD is meaningless. At that point, the Criterion discs were probably already being replicated. I'm sure there was some point before that where Criterion had to make a pro/con list and decide whether to proceed with what they had, or scrap their work and wait until the restoration was finished and start their BD all over again. Clearly they decided to proceed, and I'm not privy to the financial and...